How to transport a program

I typed out a program that I'd like to show to my english class at school. I've got it included all in one .cpp file on my compiler (Visual C++ '08). I was wondering what the best way to transport it to a school windows computer and use it there would be. Could I just burn the .exe file to a disc and put the disc in at school and run it from there, or will that not work? (The school most certainly doesn't have a compiler.)
Can you compile it with MinGW? VC++ has the problem that the generated code needs the runtime library installed on the computer that will run it.

If you can't, you can get the library (1.7 MB) from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en
Last edited on
Thanks. Could you walk me through how to do it? I just downloaded it and now I can't find where it got installed.
what? just burn the executable on a writable cd drive and go to school
What did you download? MinGW or the runtime?

I'm assuming you downloaded the runtime. You don't need it installed on your computer, since it was already installed by VC++. Put it next to the executable on your media of choice and install it on the computer you're going to use to run your program.
Ok, let me get this straight: I can just put an executable file of my program on my cd, and then this other program's installation (.exe) on the cd, and then install that on the other computer.

What if there's something on the school computer that blocks all .exe applications? I think I've seen that before on a school computer...
What if there's something on the school computer that blocks all .exe applications?
Then there isn't much you can do, is there? I suppose you could ask a technician to let you run your program.
Well, I'll try running it on my teacher's computer where there's less blockage. Thanks!
Actually, I have one more question: where do I find the executable file? Back when I used dev-C++ it was easy, but I can't find it with Visual Studio.
Visual Studio puts them by default in (My documents)\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\(solution name)\(configuration name)
(configuration name) could be Debug or Release.

Or you can right-click the solution in the solution explorer and select "open folder in windows explorer".
Last edited on
Alright, I found it. Thanks again for all the help.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.