char array and reading files

I am trying to read a file using ifstream and a char* variable as part of an assignment.
What I am trying to achieve is read a file, encrypt it and save the outcome (which is another char* variable to another file. I am doing it in visual c++ 2010.

I've tried to read it first as a whole file into a char array I used a small text file so it passed. But when I tried with a big one, it naturally failed due to the large amount of data.

My second option was to read it word by word with the following code:

char buf[255];
char outB[255];
ifstream is;
ofstream osf;
// open the files for reading/writing
			while(!is.eof()) {
				is.getline(buf,sizeof(buf),' ');
				process(buf, outB, key);
				osf << outB;
			}
// close the files 

process is a simple caesar cipher.

Now with this implementation I am reading the file, finding where a word is and ciphering it then write it to the ofstream. I have two problems with that:

1. If a file line length is huge (like more than 80+ chars) the program hangs.
2. If the file line length is normal, it cuts off the empty character.

How can I get that empty character back and how can I prevent the large 80+ chars hang?

I know that you can implement it with std::string, but I think the point here is using char* variables.

closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

My guess is that at some point is.failbit is set, which will cause your program to infinitely loop because you're only checking for is.eof(). Try while(is.good()) instead. For more information: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/istream/istream/getline/

If you actually need the spaces, I would suggest using getline() without its delimiter argument:
is.getline(buf,sizeof(buf);

Hope that helps, please do let us know if you hae any further questions.

All the best,
NwN
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.