Creating a player

This is for general knowledge and I'm still learning c++. I'm working on a project with a group and a member was assigned to make a player. My question is how so you make a player like Mario. Not asking for a code but like a step of how to make player.

My question is how so you make a player like Mario

There are really MANY factors on how you can do that :

1. are you using other libraries ( sdl, sfml ) ?
2. using the windows console ?
3. what kind of game are you making, 2d ? text based ?
4. how far is your knowledge of C++, knowledge of classes would be better ?

5. etc...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think I'm up to that level where I can build games right now. Currently, I am taking c++ classes and almost about to learn the classes and pointers. I was just trying to get an idea of how tomwake a player :) I do know I have to make class; however few more questions just for basic knowledge

1.) how many libraries are there to make a player...right now, I don't know any libraries that are used to make players

3.) it's an rpg console game. Not 3d or 2d at all. More like Tetris type or the Classic Mario game.

4.) knowledge: data types, user defined functions, loops, conditional statements, some cin functions like getline, get, outback, :)
Last edited on
Shadow Fiend, I'm making a Main menu for a game, but not sure if this is the correct method to use. I'm a beginner only, but for my level will this method work. Meanwhile, I'm trying to implement a design here by having

MAIN menu
how to play
rules
Exit

on the main screen. Do you think this method im using for my level is wise or not? I'm asking a lot of questions to you, so apologize for that. I'm getting a little obessed of asking questions to you only, but you have ample knowledge of this language seems like :) Thank You for the help you have provided :)

void displayhome()
{
	//First: Draw The horizontal Line
	cout<<"\n\n\n\n";
	cout<<"\t\t     ";
	cout<<(char)(218);
	int counter=0;
	while(counter<30)
	{
		cout<<(char)(196);
		counter++;

}
	cout<<(char)(191);
	//Second: Draw Two vertical Bars
	cout<<"\n\t\t     " <<(char)(179);
	cout<<"\t\tMAIN MENU ";
	cout<<setw(11)<<(char)(179);
}

I would strongly suggest leaving making games or game characters alone until you have covered pointers and classes.

1.) how many libraries are there to make a player.

Lots. The most popular libraries to do this with are SFML, SDL & Allegro.

More like Tetris type or the Classic Mario game.

Tetris and classic Mario are both 2d games. They are not text based games running in the console. They make use of 2d graphics.

Anyway, to make a player, you usually do this with a class, so wait until you have done classes and then you won't have to ask this question.
Last edited on
A good place to start until you learn more is to define how you your game to behave. You need to know what you want to do before you can determine how you are going to do it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.