Question about (while) loops and termination

Noob here, I'm going through Bjarne Stroustrup's book Programming, Principles and Practice Using C++. (I'm using other resources too though).

Here's the problem, it's from chapter 4 of the book.

1. Write a program that consists of a while loop that (each time around the
loop) reads in 2 ints, and then prints them. Exit the program when a terminating '|' is entered.

I'm sort of lost on this, I know there are a number of ways to get input, but what would the instructions be to sort out the '|' character?

Right now I've got

int x ; 
int y ; 

while (cin>>x>>y)
{
     cout << " x is: " << x << "\n y is: " << y ; 
}

which obviously, any time any character at all is entered, the while loop isn't entered.

How do I compare what is input? It seems like this sorta goes beyond the scope of what I've learned so far but maybe that is the point.

I guess I could declare a string that could be compared (ie "type the word "Enter" after you have entered the 2 Integer Variables") But that doesn't seem
as direct as just having it terminate if "|" is input.

EDIT:

Here's my new program. Also I've read that goto isn't recommended (from another book I was reading). I suppose that using Break; as the statement for the if (Enter=="|") test would have the same effect.

How do I test if x or y are valid inputs though? If one gets a character or anything other than an integer value, the program gets stuck in an infinite loop. Why doesn't it wait until the next input?

int x = 0 ; 
int y = 0 ; 

string Enter = "" ; 

while(true)

{
		   start: 

cout << "\nPlease enter 2 integers, followed by the word 'Enter':    " ; 
		   cin >> x ; 
		   cin >> y ; 

cin >> Enter ; 

if (Enter == "Enter" || Enter == "enter")
		{
			cout << "x is: " << x << "\ny is: " << y ; 
		}
		else
			if (Enter == "|")
			{
				goto end ; 
			}
			else
				if (Enter != "Enter" && Enter != "enter" )
				{
					cout << "\nOops, please re-enter your numbers\n" ; 
					goto start ; 
				}

}

end: 

return 0 ; 

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.