Hello world virus

Odd title... I know. I've been trying to learn C++ off and on for a while now and I think that I've finally found a great EBook. Well I'm following along and it's all very simple stuff that I know. Like I'm just on the part that prints out hello world:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
    return 0;
}

However, if I add:cout << "How are you?" << endl; after the first cout, my AVG comes up and tells me that I have a virus. I can't find an image button for these forums, but it says:

AVG Detection
Thread: Trojan horse Agent4.XTE
Object Name: c:\Users\pc1\Documents\Projects\c++\hello_world\bin\Debug\hello_world.exe

Then it gives me the option to protect or ignore. It doesn't matter which one I do, the code still won't compile as the same threat will come up again. Has anyone else had this issue before?
I was going to make a sarcastic remark about AVG and AV software in general... but instead I'll just say that AV software is not perfect and getting false positives is unfortunately quite common.

This is less a problem with C++ and more a problem with AVG. One thing you might be able to do is to specify some kind of "safe" directory where the AV does not scan/look for viruses.

If you can't do that... or if otherwise disabling/ignoring the AV is not an option, the only other thing I can think of to do is to take this issue to AVG and see what they can do to fix it.
I figured that it was with AVG, I just wanted to double check and make sure.
Yeah I get the same with Avast. You have nothing to worry about and you can ignore the messages.

You can read more about it here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7987712/why-does-avgantivirus-detect-an-executable-produced-from-dev-c-as-a-virus
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.