Question about member functions

Hi,

I am trying to learn about classes and have been rewritting some of my old programs but instead of using functions, I have started to use classes.

Below is my program that uses a Username class to generate a username and it is working as I intended [well at least I think it is].

Anyway I was wanting to make a few of the member functions "const" but I was unsure how to make the definition and then call them. I think that my declaration is OK though. [line 11 & line 13]

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <conio.h>
#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;

class Username
{
	public: //begin public section
			string get_user () const;//accessor member function
			void set_user ();//accessor member function
			string get_username () const;//accessor member function
			void set_username ();//accessor member function
			void print_username ();

private: //begin private section
			string its_user;//member variable
			string its_username;//member variable             
};

//function used to access member variable "its_user"
string Username::get_user()
{
	return its_user;
}

//accessor member function which gets user's name from user and assigns it to its_user
void Username::set_user ()
{
	cout << "\n\nPlease enter user's forename and surname: ";
	string set_user;//declaring variable of type string which holds the name which will be used to create the username
	getline (cin, set_user);
	its_user = set_user;//initialising member variable "its_user"
}

//function used to access member variable "its_username"
string Username::get_username()
{
	return its_username;
}

//function uses "its_user" variable to create a username. The new username is assigned to "its_username". 
//Username created by taking first letter of Forename and joining it with surname
void Username::set_username ()
{
	string string1;//declaring variable of type string that holds the first letter of user's forename
	string string2;//declaring variable of type string that holds the user's surname
	string set_username;//declaring variable of type string that creates the username by adding string1 and string2
	int position;//declaring variable of type int that holds the numerical value of the position of " " in the string 'user'
	string1.append(its_user,0,1);//finds the first letter of the string "user" and assigns its value to the variable string1
	position = its_user.find(" " , 0);//finds the position of the " " in the string 'user' and assigns its value to the variable position
	position = position + 1;//adds 1 to the value of position which is then used to find the starting position of the surname is the string 'user'
	string2.append(its_user.begin()+position,its_user.end());//extracts the surname from the string "user"
	set_username = string1.append(string2);//adds string1 and string2 and assigns the value to variable 'create_username'
	its_username = set_username;//initialising member variable "its_username"
}

//member function that prints welcome message to the user
void Username::print_username ()
{
	system ("CLS");//clears screen
	string message = "Welcome " + its_username + "!";
        string spaces (message.size(), ' ');//used to build the 2nd and 4th line of output
        string second = "* " + spaces + " *";//creates 2nd and fourth line of output
        string first (second.size(), '*');//creates the 1st and 5th line of output

cout << "\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n";//used to position message on screen
        cout << "\t\t\t\t" << first << endl;//prints first line of message
        cout << "\t\t\t\t" << second << endl;//prints second line of message
        cout << "\t\t\t\t" << "* " << message << " *" << endl;//prints 3rd line of message
        cout << "\t\t\t\t" << second << endl;//prints fourth line of message
        cout << "\t\t\t\t" << first << endl;//prints fifth line of message
}

int main ()
{
	Username New;//creating object of class "Username"
	New.set_user();//calling function to get value which will be assigned to "its_user"
	New.set_username();//calling function that creates a username and assigns it to "its_username"
	New.print_username ();//calling function that prints welcome message to user
	_getch();//pauses screen
	return 0;
}
You also need const at the end of lines 23 & 38 too.

In other words your methods must match how you've declared them in your class.

edit:
void Username::set_username ()
{
	string set_username;//declaring... 

I wouldn't call a variable the same name as a method.

How about instead of:

string string1;//declaring variable of type string that holds the first letter of user's forename
	string string2;//declaring variable of type string that holds the user's surname
	string set_username;//declaring variable of type string that creates the username by adding string1 and string2 

you could change them to:
string sFirstName;
string sSurName;
string sFullName;

then you don't even need all of those comments either. the variables themselves tell you exactly what they are.
Last edited on
You need to declare the definitions as const as well as the declarations:

class Username
{
	public:
			string get_user () const; // declared const
			void set_user (); // there is a difference between accessor and mutator, Google it :p
			string get_username () const; // declared const
			void set_username ();
			void print_username ();

private:
			string its_user;
			string its_username;         
};

string Username::get_user() // not defined const
{
	return its_user;
}

string Username::get_username() const // should be defined const like this
{
	return its_username;
}

Also, you don't need many of those comments. Things like: //prints first line of message don't add anything, they just make it harder to read the code.

You would also be better off not using things like system() or anything in conio.h (there are a few articles in the article section about what you are trying to do).
So is this how I would do the declaration, definition and call?

For example:

string get_user () const;//declaration

string Username::get_user() const//defintion

New.get_user () const;//call

The comments in my code are more for my sake as I am still learning. I find they help me think what each line of code is doing and also helps when I look back at a program I did previously.

Another question I would like to ask about classes relates to member variables and accessor functions.

If I am using a private member variable in my member function should I use its name or should I use the accessor function that returns its value?
I tend to use the member variable directly.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.