The C++ Language Tutorial

Hi, I'm very new to the C++ Language, started on the C++ Language Tutorial, not having too much trouble absorbing the information. I was wondering, how comprehensive is the tutorial? If the language was a land, how much ground will I have covered when I've finished it? And this; Where should I go from there if I'm most interested on getting started in learning about programming AI or games? Any advice is very much appreciated.
Last edited on
If the language was a land, how much ground will I have covered when I've finished it?
I'd say covering the first 40% takes less than 1% of the time to cover 100%. You can use C++ for years and still learn something new every day. And that doesn't include changes to the standard.

AI
Don't get me started.

I'm most interested on getting started in learning about programming [...] games?
What kind of games? 2D games don't require much more than general programming. 3D game programming is a completely different matter. Just to give you an idea, there are quite a few books on the subject of 3D rendering.
Last edited on
All sounds....... fun. After highschool, I plan on doing whatever I have to do to get a permanent job dealing with AI. I make decent grades (94<), hopefully I'll be able get into a good school. To be specific, programming AI for games.
Last edited on
If you are able to put together a 2D game without ANY problems, and understand the use of classes for object orientated coding in all 3 directions can you start thinking about making a simple 3D game. Pointers, structures and classes MAY have been a little confusing when you started with it. In 3D it is WAY confusing. It is like traveling to space versus traveling by sea. Completely different. Helios probably has more experience coding AI, but through what I have read about 3D and AI, it is hard.
The problem (if you can call it that) with 3D programming has nothing to do with neither pointers nor classes. If that was the case, then the problems wouldn't exist in a language that lacked them.
The problem is that there's a lot of advanced math involved.
>.> I kinda guessed there would be. Helios, can you recommend any classes? (college)
Last edited on
Okay, I just asked a friend of mine who's into engine programming.
He tells me "geometry, trigonometry, and linear algebra". I'd say trigonometry is probably the most important of the three.

And to answer NoobsDeSroobs' question, "what kind of language do you use to program in 3D?": anything that can output graphics will do. Most game engines, particularly the high-end kind (think DOOM 3, Crysis), are written in C and/or C++.

EDIT: No, now he added: "derivatives, polynomials, numerical analysis, quadratic and cubic equations, fractals".
Last edited on
All these calculations are fairly simple. Not easy, but not mind breaking either.
helios, do you numerical derivatives or analytic derivatives?

I have heard that a number system called quaternions(extension of complex numbers 4-dimensional) are used frequently in 3-D or are at least in increasing usage
I mean the derivatives from calculus.
what I meant was calculating the derivative of sin(x) by:
d/dx(sinx)|x=pi/4 <-analytically
or
lim(h->0)(sin(x+h)-sin(x))/h @ x=pi/4 <-numerically
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.