"Info: Nothing to Build for <filename>"

I heard eclipse was a good IDE to use for C++
, but Im having problems being able to run a program even a simple Hello World program. I get the error "Info: Nothing to build for <filename>". Im on Windows 8 64 bit

So I could not grt Eclipse C++ to work so I redownloaded Java SE 7 JDK, mingw, and eclipse with the c++ plugin and when downloading mingw I noticed this,

installing libstdc++-4.8.1-4-mingw32-dll-6.tar
mingw-get: *** ERROR *** C:\MinGW\/bin/libstdc++-6.dll: extraction failed
mingw-get: *** ERROR *** unexpected end of archive reading content record
mingw-get: *** ERROR *** unexpected end of archive reading header record

installing libiconv-1.14-3-mingw32-dll-2.tar
mingw-get: *** ERROR *** C:\MinGW\/bin/libiconv-2.dll: extraction failed
mingw-get: *** ERROR *** unexpected end of archive reading content record
mingw-get: *** ERROR *** unexpected end of archive reading header record

These 2 things errored out, could that be the problem? When I downloaded MinGW and I got to the installation manager, I chose "mingw 32 base" and "mingw32-gcc-g++" that is the basic mingw installation and the compiler. And I never noticed this til just now but Does the 32 stand for 32 bit? Did I download the wrong mingw? I didn't see anything that said 32 bit one here and 64 bit one here.

I went back into Eclipse, follows the tutorial for hello world step by step, the creating a file, building a file,and the running a file and got the same outcome "Info:Nothing to build for HelloWorld.cpp"
If you are new to C++ and on Windows use the Visual Studio Express edition.
Its free and supports most of the things from latest C++ standard, plus that way you dont need to have Java, MinGW etc.
First, the 'w32' doesn't refer to '32' bit (though, archaically, it did...). MinGW32 stands for 'Minimalist GNU for Win32', which is actually 32/64 bit agnostic. There is a 64 bit version, however, which is MinGW-w64, but that doesn't matter.

Did you check the md5 on your downloads? From the looks of it it seems like the tar ball didn't download properly. Try it again. Eclipse is a perfectly good IDE (though, admittedly, more Java-oriented), so it is highly unlikely to be an eclipse problem.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.