Advice please~

Hello~~
I am completely new to programming and I was just lazy to start even though I was really interested, so I forced myself into a C++ course even though my current college major is quite irrelevant. Heehee. So far I can write simple ones like using user input to calculate stuff (volume etcetera).
I started watching tutorials off youtube and was quite comfortable on Code Blocks, but then the class I am taking uses Visual 2008... So I had to download VS but I got 2013 which feels completely different! Most tutorials on youtube are about VS 2010 and the interface is very different and I find it hard to learn now.
So...
1. What is a good source of VS 2013 tutorial?
2. Am I starting from the right language??
3. Please share experiences on how you first started programming.

Thank you~~~ and pardon me for the long story~~~~

You can alter the layout of Visual Studio 2013 and it remembers it. However, you can also select the way your environment looks from the Tools menu.

For example:

Go to Tools->Import and Export Settings
Select Reset all Settings and click Next
Select No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings

Then you can select from there the different pre-made views. Each view gives a description on the right - just find a one that matches what you prefer.

Ohhh nice! thank you!
Ah by the way, is it difficult to switch to Visual Studio after learning on Code Blocks? I want to finish what I started and finish the tutorial I have started on Code Blocks (I really like this one... much better than most Visual Studio tutorials I have found so far).
Ive not personally used code blocks and always used visual studio but its more so the language your learning than the ide - what i would say is try stick to the more widely used ide as you progress in your learning as its those which a software house uses if you choose this as a career.

Visual Studio (game studios / software houses use this mostly)
Eclipse (usually for android/java but also does c++)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.