Interested In Video Game Programming

Hey
I am new here.
I eventually want to program my own studio software DAW for musical and audio based production.
Till then, I wish to learn more about video game programming and such.

I get the idea of C++ is idea of the language giving life to all the inputs from where one object rotates to another axis or to when a loop fades out to a cut scene after pressing a key.
Basically programming = life

But I wonder what resources would be good for since I am very budgeted.
I have downloaded so far:
Dev C++
and Microsoft Visual Studio which is currently installing (and have no experience with)

and any recommended links or such to those more interested in gaming development programming specifically over traditional C++ (Though I am learning this part for essentials and expansion into other computer aspects.)

Also a new beginner's question?
How much does programming language rely on mathematics? How much of it relies more on familiar pattern sequences?
Which one plays more of a role of importance?
Once again, I am fairly new to this but always was interested in now dedicating to this as a hobby and do some cool stuff computer wise.

Any further information is also welcome.
Thanks
"Also a new beginner's question?
How much does programming language rely on mathematics? How much of it relies more on familiar pattern sequences?
Which one plays more of a role of importance?"

this depends totally on your application. inherently there isnt much mathematics that you need to know at all to make certain kinds of innovative and useful programs. however if you want to compete with wolframalpha than obviously you may be programming some maths.

for game development you may need to incorporate physics into your game. if so than it will be some pretty intense maths. otherwise probably nothing overwhelming.
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
Personally I feel that programming, as a skill, is simply another means of communicating.

Although my examples may tangent, I will attempt to readjust to your questions.

-----Programming as another means of communication-----
If you decide to make a language translation program, you will need to know the specified languages and possibly their patterns/differences.

If you make a art program, if would be significantly more useful if you understand art.

If you make a math program, you must know math.

Same applies to music and gaming.

When folks view games they see interaction, art, and enjoyment.

Programmer may see it differently: physics, calculations, memory control, network messaging, and much more.

-----Answering your questions-----

Also a new beginner's question?
Which one plays more of a role of importance?
It would be dependent on your concentration. Ideally both, since they heavily correlate with one other; even simple math.

How much does programming language rely on mathematics?
Math is a necessity. Try to build a physics engine without it. Deciding whether or not to allocate processing power to objects who're varying distances away from the host. You might seek the need of theta, x, y, and possibly z. You can't be afraid of math in game programming - unless someone else is doing it for you.

How much of it relies more on familiar pattern sequences?
Everything is a pattern, including your game loop. Your program must eventually end.

As a hobby, drawing images to the screen, creating music players, and developing system/networking tools are pretty fun/challenging; the first two requiring very little to no math.

If you aren't doing graphics and such, the most math you'll be using is simple basic math. But you still must be able to count loops and weigh branchs and such. And possibly to count comparisons and such, as a means to test performance; though you'll not likely care about that if it's a hobby.

Let's not talk about the cons... ^^
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.