What is the "&" operator in the return type of a function?

Hello. I stacked at the point & operator. I don't know so many things about & reference operator and i'm searching on the web.

My question is that to put reference operator in a return type of a function is technically possible. But what does it mean literally? I don't imagine what does this mean ? It seems like below

int & f()
{
}

Could you show me please some differerent code snippets of & operators for this purpose of using?
Thanks in advance
Last edited on
It returns reference to int. That means if you change returned value, original will change too.
For example operator[] in standard container vector returns reference to the stored type making things like v[5] = 10; possible.
Example:
int& get(int* array, int i, int j, int width)
{
    int index = i * width + j;
    return array[index];
}
//...
int arr[10] = { 0 };
get(arr, 0, 1, 5) = 1;
get(arr, 1, 2, 5) = 2;
//arr now [0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0] 
There is no such thing as a reference operator.

int& f() is a function which returns a reference to int.

The version of operator<< that is overloaded for std::ostream returns a reference to std::ostream which enables one to chain calls such as:

std::cout << 1 << ' ' << 2 << ' ' << 3 << '\n' ;
instead of doing:
 std::cout << 1;
 std::cout << ' ';
 std::cout << 2;
 std::cout << ' ';
 std::cout << 3;
 std::cout << '\n';

On the other hand, there are not many non-contrived use cases for returning a reference to a simple type like int. (Edit: Although, MiiNiPaa has supplied one.)

Could you show me please some differerent code snippets of & operators for this purpose of using?

Again, & is not an operator in this context. You can think of it as part of the type.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.