Some info on where to start as a c++ game engine programmer

Im sorry if this has been answered some where but i could never find the answer to this question.

I am 17 turning 18 and i am going into the 11th grade and i realized i probably should have started c++ a little bit earlier in my high school life so i could get a head start, but little did i know i would lose must of my time to stupid stuff and sports, but now that im finally over that, i just wanna sit down and actually try to learn. Basically what i want to do is become a programmer in the gaming industry, i want to work for my self one day as i know how to model in 3d, design music, draw, voice act and work on story development, how ever i cannot program.

I do want to start with a company because i have no confidence with me actually creating a game and selling it to live off of, especially with incoming bills and no time to spare, also a beginner selling his game to live off of might not be the best bet for a total beginner. But i digress.

So i guess i should stop rambling and ask the question already, I have never touched a line of C++ in my life but have seen some java and c# before so i can kinda imagine what it could be like, im confused on where to start if i want to start working on game development with c++. Do i start reading books like "C++ for dummies" and then move on to game development books, how does it work? I want to work with engines and the real hard stuff, as i understand that's what most companies are looking for.

I just need a solid place to start as someone who wants to work with games with c++, thats the question summed up. I feel so lost and confused on that part, i don't know what book to get, what software to get with the book, its like im looking at the maze trying to find the start of it lol.

I gave you guys some of my background in the beginning to maybe help you guys understand where i am coming from and kinda what situation i am in. Maybe some of you guys could give me some advice on how you started and what worked for you. Im open to an advice you guys can give. I wanna personally thank any one for reading this hunk of mess and especially thank any one who helps me, it means a lot, your basically helping me start my career :)

Start off with Programming for Dummies, it teaches you the basics of C++, Visual BASIC, BASIC, Revolution, and some HTML programming(this is good practice)

Also go to Codecademy: teaches you some coding vocabulary for Java, etc.
(But no C++)

Or, you could go to Hour of Code; it teaches the basics of how programming works, but teaches no programming itself. It uses click-and-drag blocks that perform actions to teach the syntax/grammar of programming, but it's like teaching English by saying:

Sentences are as follows: Subject verbed Object.

Instead of: Person threw Frisbee.

I don't know whether C++ is good for games; you might want to learn Java or C++ with C#.
Google the answers for questions, such as "C++ strings vs int" etc
Last edited on
Thank you very much for the reply, i have read some sources on which programming language is best for programming video games and must of them point back to C++. But you have given me a way to start and i will do so, thank you.
Hi there, my advice to you would be to buy a book and stick to it, as far as i know there are dozens of great books that teaches C++ to beginners without requiring any previous programming knowledge. So you go ahead and do some digging by yourself and pick a book you think is best for you. Also keep in mind, for game engines you're gonna need a lot of mathematics and physics and not just programming languages.

Check out this link for books: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

If you're considering going to college after high-school then i suggest you don't get too worked up over games development yet, right now just focus on your school and in your free time learn yourself a bit of C++, there will be time for games development later.

Thank you a bunch for the reply. Yea i heard about all the mathematics and physics required but once again, i have never been able to see it for my self so it was always a mystery on what i actually needed to know, thank you so much for the link, that will also help me chose the books i need, also thanks on the college advice, as of now i have no idea where i am going to go after college :)
When someone gives you advice and then follows it with "I don't know whether C++ is good for games;" you can be highly skeptical of what they say. Also, any book with "for DUMMIES" in the title is for the trash.

Assuming you're serious about this my advice is as follows:

If you are new to programming I recommend getting Programming: Principles and Practices Using C++ Second Edition. Then get C++ Primer to get a in-depth view of the language with limited technical details. Invest in The C++ Programming Language 4th Edition as a C++ reference book. Those will cover C++ for you, but until you can afford those books (as they are pricey) you can use tutorials (but always remember tutorials and web sites biggest shortcoming is that they aren't as technical as the books so they may miss important points that should be covered). Join sites like Gamedev.net and ask tons of questions. Pick up a decent book on game engine architecture. Google is your friend. Lastly, above all else, constantly code, practice everything, and always experiment.
Thank you a lot, you finally covered the "C++ gaming" part that i was also looking for, and i do not know anything about this language so i wouldn't know who's advice is better so i just look at every one's advice and try to piece every thing together.

Yes i am very serious about this and i highly appreciate the advice you have given me, just out of question since you seem to know a bit more about the "Gaming portion." When i go to 3d part of c++, im assuming i would be going to a library like DX13 or opengl and program there, but the book you listed will help me get to that point im assuming?
Last edited on
There is really no 2D or 3D part of C++. After you learn some C++ you should move slowly and make sure you understand it. Do some command line programs, then move to 2D by learning either SDL, SFML, or Allegro libraries. After making some 2D games you can move to 3D. At that point you can learn DX by way of its documentation because I don't know any books that cover DirectX above DX11. As for OpenGL, you should get OpenGL Programming Guide and OpenGL SuperBible (just do a search for "opengl" on amazon.com and it should be the first two books that come up). You will also want to look into mathematics and maybe find a good book on the mathematics used in game programming.

Like I said, join this site (http://www.gamedev.net/ ) as it is a site ran by veterans in the game industry and have tons of indie and hobby game programmers on it to answer any questions that come up.
Last edited on
Thank you so much BHX Specter, you have finally awnsered my questions i have had for years. I always got confused on the difference between c++ programming and gaming c++ programming and i could never really piece together on how to start on either one. But now i can finally begin my journey on the wonderful worlds of c++ programming. Thank you so much for the awesome advice man, it means a lot :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.