Question regarding local static object

Hi, guys. I was just now reading about local static object and really troubled by the mechanism of how a static object works. According to my textbook, a static object would have somehow been initialized even before the its definition is executed, which would indicate that if I use a static object in a user-defined function, then the static object I defined in the function will continue to exist until the program terminates. If this is true, please take a look at the following code

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int sequencef();
int main()
{
    for (unsigned i = 0; i != 20; ++i)
        cout << sequencef() << endl;
}

int sequencef()
{
    static int i = 0;
    return i++;
}

In the code above, I had variable i overloaded, and it's defined as a static int in function sequencef. As I understand, since i was defined as a static object, it would retain its existence even outside of this sequencef fucntion. However, in the main function body, I defined a variable with the same name i in a for loop. What I expected was that the compiler would get "confused" of this two 'i's, but it didn't, and it worked perfectly well as it's supposed to be ( to print numbers from 0 to 20).
Here's what I think. If the static int i defined in sequencef continues to exist even outside of sequencef, then it should exist in the main function body, which means when another i is defined in a for loop in the main function, there would be 2 'i's. Let's refer the 'i' in the sequencef as i.1 and the other 'i' as i.2 . So if we set our eyes on the scope of the for loop, if it's the i.2 playing its part in this scope, then i.2 should be printed as to be 10-30, which is not the case; if it's i.1 being the i here in this scope, the for loop should be functioning at all.
I'm really confused about in what scope a static object exist. I tried run the following code as well and it gave me a error saying that i was not declared, so I guess that there must be a certain scope in which the static objects retain their existence and it's not the main function body.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int sequencef();
int main()
{
    cout << i;
    cout << sequencef();

int sequencef()
{
    static int i = 0;
    return i++;
}
Your static i is within the scope of the function sequencef. The static keyword makes the variable exist for as long as the program exists, but it's scope is the same as if it had been declared normally.
Last edited on
get it. Thanks a lot!
According to my textbook, a static object would have somehow been initialized even before the its definition is executed

I believe your book is mistaken. Statics inside a function are initialized once the first time that the definition is encountered. This is different from statics with file scope, which are initialized before main() is called.

Statics with file scope are initialized in the order that they are defined within a file, but the initialization order of statics in different files is undefined. In other words, the statics in file1.cpp are initialized in order, and the statics in file2.cpp are initialized in order, but you don't know whether file1.cpp statics are initialized before or after file2.cpp statics.

If this has changed I'd appreciate someone setting me straight.
function-local static are always initialized before the first time the function is entered if that initialization is constant initialization (the compiler just emits the initial value into the data section), and may be early-initialized even in non-constant cases if that isn't detectable by the program (6.7[stmt.dcl]/4)

And, by the way, file scope statics may be initialized after main() is called, as long as it's before their are first odr-used - 3.6.2[basic.start.init]/4 - C++ is flexible that way. But in most cases, you won't be wrong if you don't know that.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.