C++ or C#

closed account (4yUpDjzh)
I am 14 and when I am older I would like to be a games programmer. I have just recently started learning some basic languages such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript and some jQuery. I find these all rather easy and I have a good grasp on how coding works. Since I would like to be a games programmer when I am older I was wondering what language would be the better choice, C++ or C#. I have heard that C# is better because it is more supported, in things like Unity. I have 2 books on C++ but none on C#, but if C# would be a better investment of time, I will get some books on that. So which one is the better choice? Thank you.
It depends on what kind of computer programming you're going to be doing. For example is it computer-based or Mobile operating system based etc. I have found that C++ is a good general language for computer programming. It's something you should start with. From there you can go into more detailed programming like objective C. Or something new that you probably haven't heard of "Swift"

However it all depends on what platform you would like to program for.
Well my dream job would to be making desktop video games for Windows, that is why I am in doubt because C# is a lot more supported for things like Unity and stuff. I will carry on learning C++ as I already have books on it. Also I have heard of Swift but I have no idea what it is used for.
Ideally you'd learn both. You can't really go wrong with either one. You have a lot of time ahead of time being only 14, so just pick one and and start making some little games. C# + Unity is a good place to start. Game development is a large field with lots of specializations. Look at some major video game companies' job postings to get some ideas of what interests you.
Okay thanks for you very helpful reply, I will first start with C++, as I already have a couple of books on it, so far I am finding it very enjoyable, then once I am familiar and comfortable with it, I will move on to C#. I have had a look and some of the available jobs at big companies like 'Rockstar Games' and 'Ubisoft,' and I have found that a lot of them demand mainly C++, but I am 14 so I can imagine that once I have finished collage and the time comes where I am actually looking for a job, a lot would've changed. Also what kinds of software or maybe even small games would you recommend me try to create once I am familiar with C++, are there any game engines that support C++? Because Unity is C#, or does it support C++ also? Thank you
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.