Challenge Project (C++/Access/Excel/XML)

Okay Gods Of C++ , This is purely for academic purpose. Thought it would be fun to work on this with experts :D :D

What I want to do is -

1) Create an Access Database by importing XML Schema Map (action triggered by C++)
2) Use C++ code to add data to the DB Tables (to make things more challenging - load from an excel sheet)
3) Use C++ code to modify, delete and retrieve records

Lets say there are 2 Tables in the DB :

Table1:
Col1 - EmpID (Primary key)
Col2 - EmpName
Col3 - DeptID (Foreign Key)
Col4 - EmpDept

Table2:
Col1 - DeptID (Primary key)
Col2 - DeptName

Thoughts/Ideas/Emotions??

ANYONE??
What exactly do you want to do? Just create an application that talks to a database?
@ OP: How much experience do you have with COM+? Every application in the MS Office suit exposes methods to the WMI so that you can do exactly the kind of thing that you are describing. I'll be the first to admit that there is a noticeable learning curve involved, but it is without a doubt worth learning if this is the kind of stuff that you want to write in the future.
Yes Resident pretty much.
I thought it would be a nice project where a C++ code would interact with the database such that as it runs it dumps results into the tables where the table structure would reside in an XML file.

So Run the C++ Code > XML file import to access > Tables Ready > Add/Edit/Delete Data ...

C_Geek. I dont have enough experience with COM+..but that said I'd not shy away from the learning..any tips on how to get started?

Thnx for your replies..
Creating an application to talk to a database isn't too hard. Database systems provide APIs for communication to them. Just read the docs on how to set up a project and use the API, then go to town.
Most of the Docs are all like blah blah..any links to useful and to the point docs would be much appreciated..
Uh it's entirely dependent on what database system you go with. If you can't read any vendor documentation, then that's a real problem.
Hey, no I didn't say I wouldn't read it just that I wish there were more concise articles with simpler examples available and if you knew of any I'd like to read through them..Also the DB as I mentioned was Access
--Closing due to inactivity--
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.