Where to Start

So I have learned very basic about c++ and really want to learn the language fully. I am just wondering if I should go through the whole tutorial on here or where I should start with language. Thanks.

Last edited on
I'm by no means an expert in C++ but I am a teacher for other computer certifications and I would highly recommend starting from the beginning. Jumping into to anything and not getting the right foundations can solidify bad habits that it will take more work to undo than if you had learned it right from the beginning! IMO it's not worth the few hours you'd save by skipping ahead.
So you would recommend going through the tutorial fully on here?
My advice is find something that interests you and make a simple version of it.

I got into programming because I wanted to make games. So that's how I started: I wrote extremely crude games by piecing together code examples I had handy (this was before i had access to the internet -- you kids are lucky these days).

As I wrote code I learned more and more and was able to write bigger and more complex programs.

The idea is... if you are interested in what you are doing, you'll be more engaged and you'll learn faster and you'll retain more knowledge. If you're just cramming in a boring tutorial on something you don't care about, it'll be less fun and more difficult.

My $0.02
Disch makes a great point. If its boring or you're not loving it, you're not gonna be able to go the distance. Try to make it into something you can really get behind. I recommend going through the full tutorials just because they are relatively short, I made it through 4 or 5 chapters of a c++ instructional book in less than a day and was writing simple programs to convert numbers to binary and whatnot. For what its worth, I feel like the few hours it'll take to get through the beginning tutorials can't do anything but good in the long run.
Thank you guys! Appreciate the feedback.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.