GUI programming in windows: Programming Windows - Edition 5 or 6?

I am an experienced programmer of console applications in C++ but I don't have any experience in GUI programing. Now I want to leave that epic black cmd background and want to learn GUI programming. But I am totally confused between the QT thing and win32. I just want to create windows GUI applications using visual studio express 2013. So which good books I should refer to start with?
Last edited on
The thing is that Qt is a cross platform framework, and the Win32API is for only windows.
For Qt, I recommend the docs on their site, and for the Win32API, Programming Windows, Charles Petzold.

Aceix.
Thanks Aceix. But there is a little bit of confusion. For which edition should i go of Programming Windows? Edition 5 or 6? Edition 5 is way too old (1998) and the 6th edition is about programming for windows 8 but uses C# and XAML and i don't have any first hand experience of both of them. Do i need to learn them first or should i go with 5th edition?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
If you want to learn Windows API programming it would be Edition 5. It is still relevant (mostly).

Also see: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/139929/
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.