Accessing member variables which are classes

Hello, world.

I have a question about accessing member variables which are C++ structs that contain other C++ structs.

In order to keep encapsulation, I need to write getter and setters instead of returning the member variable as a reference, this was fine at first until I started making member variables structs/classes. Consider the following:
struct A {
    int doo;
    char bar;
};

struct B {
    A blam;
    char whop;
};

class C {
private:
    B banana;

public:
    // Do I need to create getter/setters for all the structs?
    // Or should I instead make the structs into classes with the 
    // members private and implement getter/setters in those instead?
};

Any help is appreciated

EDIT:

If I do make the structs classes instead, I think I should still return them by reference so their functions can be called.
Last edited on
In order to keep encapsulation, I need to write getter and setters instead of returning the member variable as a reference,

This is the wrong mentality. Very wrong.

Getters/setters are terrible. They are bad for encapsulation. Granted... they're not as bad as public members... but they're still bad.

Classes function better when they are a singular entity... and not just a collection of a bunch of different parts. Getters/setters destroy that singular entity idea and instead pull out a small part of the class -- which breaks encapsulation.

Ideally... if a class is properly encapsulated... outside code shouldn't even know or care what pieces belong to your class.

As with any design question, it is difficult to give a straight answer, since the best way to design something depends a lot on what you're trying to do. So I can't really say what would be the best thing for you in this specific instance.

What I will say, though... is that there is extremely little (if any) value in making variables private if you are just going to write a bunch of getters/setters for all of them. That's nothing but a waste of time.
I see what you are saying.
My structs have no other purpose than storing data in a group (hopefully this is ok), perhaps I should just make them public.
Yes they they are just a clump of data... then a struct with public members is fine. Don't bother trying to encapsulate that.
Last edited on
Thanks, BTW this is what made me (I probably incorrectly interpreted it) think getters and setters were important for encapsulation: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8005514/is-returning-references-of-member-variables-bad-pratice
That thread explains why it is bad to return a reference to a member (which is indeed worse than getters/setters -- and in fact is arguably worse than making members public), but I don't see anywhere in the response where he says using getters/setters is a good idea.
I guess that is where I misinterpreted, it said that if the variable is in turn calculated on the fly, you wouldn't be able to return a reference, however a getter could still return the calculated variable
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.