Struggling with Accelerated C++

Hey guys I'm 21 old, Well I have been studying Accelerated C++ for the past 1~2 months and I'm really having a hard time regarding the exercises from the book. The difficulty started at chapter 4 (though I really understand what the author explains) but I can't think straight on doing the exercises!

I've been skipping the exercises from chapter 4 to 10 now, and what I really have to say is that (by looking the tutorials here, c++ primer 5th, ppp 2nd edition, etc) I understand the theory, explanation, but I can't understand what the author asks for you to do nor do I know what to do with the things I've learned in that chapter (I don't know to organize my thoughts into code, idk).

But by the time passed I took a time and look all over some exercises (codes) from the very early previous chapter (3, 4, 5) that I couldn't do but now I understand. I don't know if I'm reading too fast or am not too focused, but how can I understand the theory but I'm not able to do such exercises?

I'll revise the book the time I finish it and try the exercises along the way.
I'm also studying Lua, and JavaScript(codeacademy) because I noticed that I can study all these and not get confused.

So, do you guys suggest I continue studying C++ though Accelerted C++ as my main book, even though I can't work my way through any of the exercises? Any suggestions is appreciated, thanks.

By the way, I've never programmed before (only vaguely studied years ago through the reference here til functions), and so for me it is easier to pick up C++ than others, and also its my favorite language :D. My bad for my English.

Last edited on
You should try to finish every exercise you can - just reading is not enough. Having the memories of typing the code and fixing the mistakes you make will help you learn very rapidly, and you can always ask for help on these forums when you get stuck. If you're worried it's a stupid question you can try several Google searches first but we don't mind answering simple questions repeatedly (people don't read the articles that address the simple questions anyway because they don't know they exist until we show them).

It's good that you're learning several languages at once (as long as you can handle it). I don;t think you will get confused (and you say you aren't) but do be aware that a common mistake that even I have made when going from one language to another is that you may try to employ techniques and thinking strategies from one of the other languages. This is generally not a good idea as it results in writing bad code for the languages you're working in. We see Java programmers come to C++ and try to write new everywhere, for example.
Last edited on
Yes, I always read and attempt to do what the exercise asks before I had realized I couldn't work my way through, and I do know reading isn't enough (and I feel that). Hmm, I read a lot about this (trying to employ things from one to another), and I'm always trying to be aware of that, and the complement books talks a about this topic. Thank you for the tips, and I'll post my questions here when I revise the book.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.