Problem displaying arrays across member functions

I have this assignment for a class to create a box of 3 types of produce using 5 types of fruits or vegetables, then allow to user to replace something from their box with one of the other produce. Here is the constructor for the box of produce

Box_of_Produce::Box_of_Produce()
{

int index = 0;
    ++counter; // counts # of boxes made 
    string produce [PRODUCE_SIZE] = { "Broccoli" , "Kale" , "Kiwi" , "Tomato" , "Tomatillo" };

for (int i = 0; i < BOX_SIZE; ++i)
    {
       index = rand() % PRODUCE_SIZE; // randomly chooses the index of the fruit of vegetable
       box[i] = produce[index]; // assigns it to the box
    }
}

My problem is displaying the Produce array later when I'm asking which one they would like to substitute. I have two methods that display the arrays, one for box[] and one for produce[] here they are/

void Box_of_Produce::Get_Produce()// This does not work, just displays blanks after each "number)"
{
     for (int i = 0; i < PRODUCE_SIZE; ++i)
        cout << (i + 1) << ") " << produce[i] << endl;

}

void Box_of_Produce::Get_Box()//This works fine, displays the box contents no problem
{
    for (int i =0; i < BOX_SIZE; ++i)
        cout << (i + 1) <<") " << box[i] << endl;
}

The two functions are identical, other than the array it prints, but the Get_Produce() does not work, I'm at a loss why. Is it a scope issue? if it is then why does the Get_Box() work no problem?

I had placed a for loop inside the constructor right after the produce[] initialization, and it printed fine. But calling the Get_produce() right after the loop still didn't work.

and here is the substitute method, though the problem arises before it is called so i don't think it's here.

void Box_of_Produce::Substitute()
{
     int replace = 0, choice = 0;
     cout << "which item would you like to replace?" << endl;
     Box_of_Produce::Get_Box();
     cin >> replace;

cout << "And which item would you like to replace it with?" << endl;
     Box_of_Produce::Get_Produce();
     cin >> choice;

Box_of_Produce::Set_Produce(produce[choice], replace);
}
Last edited on
I had placed a for loop inside the constructor right after the produce[] initialization, and it printed fine. But calling the Get_produce() right after the loop still didn't work.

That is because the produce that you use in the constructor is a locally declared array (the one on line 6 of the constructor) which hides the member array (which, I assume [because you sound as if you think that line 6 of your constructor initializes the member array] means you never actually initialize the member array).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.