How to open a file directly?

Hey guys, I'm looking to find out how I might be able to open a file directly through the console.

I understand the use of fstream but it doesn't exactly achieve what I need.

I'm looking to display a list of options to the user, and if the user enters lets say '1', it opens up an actual file such as an excel spreadsheet or a word document.

How could I achieve this?

Thanks.
I assume you are talking about microsoft office? Or at least something similar such as open office. Do you realize what you are asking??? Taking a graphical file that has pictures, fancy fonts, tables, etc. and attempting to shove all the fancy stuff to a console screen which has no support for fancy stuff. If that is what you want, it is not going to happen.
Do you want to launch corresponding program to open desired file?
@kevinkjt2000

No I'm not trying to do that, I want the console to open up an external file. I don't want it to display it within the console.

I'd display a menu to the user, such as type '1' for scores. Then if the user enters 1, the console will open up an external word file that has that data.

I basically just want the console to act as a short cut to another file on my system.

@MiiNiPaa

Yes, I want the console to open up an external file, which could be a notepad file, word file or an excel spreadsheet etc.
Last edited on
I want to point out that the windows command prompt does this already if you type the name of the file you want to open (including the extension).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.