lowest common multiple

i want to write a program that calculates the lowest common multiple for two integer numbers that inputs by user
and show results at screen.
thanks
one way is by mathematical method,
if you dont know that,
suppose, input is x and y.
x<y
then 2x%y == 0 ?
3x%y == 0 ?
go until you find
hmm...you can try dividing it with 2 or 3(and odd numbers) until they cannot be divided anymore(see http://www.mathsisfun.com/prime-factorization.html). Then get the values which are unique and highest common values(say 2^1 and 2^2) then multiply them and the result would be the LCM.
To get LCM, first compute the greatest common factor (GCF). Then if the numbers are A and B, the LCM = A*B/GCF(A,B)
To get LCM, first compute the greatest common factor (GCF). Then if the numbers are A and B, the LCM = A*B/GCF(A,B)

thats invalid for 3 or more numbers.

the easiest method comes to my mind (let cpu do the hardwork) :
  int A, B, C;
  cin >> A >> B >> C;
  int i =A;
  while(true)
  {
  	if (i%B==0 && i%C==0)
  	  break;
  	i+=A;  
  }

cout << "LCM = " << i << endl;
thats invalid for 3 or more numbers.

The problem statement was for 2 numbers. Even so, the extension is pretty simple since LCM(a,b,c) = LCM(a, (LCM(b,c)), so you just repeat the process.

More importantly, GCF is fast: O(log(N)) I think. So with M numbers whose max size is N, my algorithm is O(M*log(N)) whereas yours is O(N^M).
as i mentioned earlier, i focused on programmers ease. you on CPU's ease. but, there is faster method than you showed.
There is a method for finding the lcm of numbers which makes use of prime factorization
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.