Vector output from a selection

So I'm trying to write a simple program that will prompt a user to input a number between 0-19 and then output the translation of that number in Spanish.

So far I've made a vector of strings and assigned each position in that vector to the corresponding translation.

Ex.
  vector<string> numbers (20);
  numbers.assign (0, "cero");
  numbers.assign (1, "uno");
  //etc..
  numbers.assign (19, "diecinueve");

int num;
  cout << //prompt
  cin >> num;
  cout << "In Spanish that is " << //here's where I have trouble << '.' << endl; 

I want to have it so if the user inputs a 3, then it will cout the corresponding string for that position. I just don't know exactly how to do that, or if it's even possible.
Last edited on
I would have asked you to use std::map but since it looks like you're still trying to get the hang of C++, so I'll use a very simple method, std::vector, right? :) Store all the 20 spanish words in a vector of strings, ask the user to input a value, make sure the value is lesser than 20 and greater than or equals 0. Simply access the vector with the input.

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

int main()
{
    std::vector< std::string > spanish_digits { "I", "don't", "know", "them", "but", "you", "feel", "free", "to", "add", "them", "yourself", ":)" };

int const size = spanish_digits.size();
    int input = 0;

do {
        std::cout << "Enter a positive digit lesser than " << size << ": ";
        std::cin >> input;
    } while( input >= size || input < 0 );
    std::cout << input << " is " << spanish_digits[input] << " in spanish" << std::endl;

}

Study how to use std::map too.
Thank you so much OxBADC0DE, you gave me a little laugh also.
I ended up doing it a longer way after I found out that vector.assign was not doing what I wanted it to do lol
I ended up doing multiple push_back statements, which is dumb in hindsight.
You're code is so much shorter than mine because of that, but I need to look at some of the things you used and figure out what exactly they're doing.
But thank you so much for your help! It's extremely appreciated.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.