Drawing BMP's On Keyboard Presses

I'm a bit of a newbie with C++, and application programming in general.

Lately, as I walk down the street, I've had this idea about a game. Instead of using 3D modeling and a big game engine, I want to draw BMP-formatted images onto the Win32 screen upon the user pressing a certain key.

What I mean specifically is that whenever the user happens to press, "W," to move forward, depending on the image they were on beforehand - the application will then load another image that replicates what they were viewing before, only in the way that one would expect if they moved forward. This being an example, of course. Another would be catching the position of the mouse cursor and then drawing another BMP whenever they hover over the co-ordinates specified to highlight a main menu option, then if that image is drawn, then if MOUSE1 is clicked, then the game will start and begin to allocate all the images used for the level into a cache and proceed to draw the specified images depending on the user's current frame.

Trouble is, I don't where I would even begin such a thing. I know a tiny bit about Win32 GUI programming, and a good amount of multi-platform C++ with console applications. Google has hardly been any help regarding my question, and I can't seem to find a single tutorial or book on removing an image from a frame then loading another. This is where I'm halted.

I would deeply appreciate some assistance on where I would start, or any reference to a good video/book/other media on doing something sort of like this, so I can get an idea of where to proceed.

Thank you.
Try out graphics libraries like SFML, SDL, and Magnum. There are plenty of examples and tutorials for all three.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.