Is C++ worth trying to learn at 17?

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to make games. I didnt know how to start or what to learn. In January at the start of this year, I got my first book. I got 5 more books later on (2 were for c#, heard it was better than c++) and have been reading about 2-3 chapters a day. I like it, but after doing some research, I found that most jobs for software development requires 10 years of programming experience. What I want to do is create apps for apple and android, and make websites. I feel like im very far behind, and that I wouldnt be able to create an app for years. How long does it take for someone to become a good enough programmer to develop apps? I dont mind learning, but I dont want to be doing all this just to never use it again in my life.
Yeh man its worth learning! Im 19 and started studying it a few months ago only and have been doing great progress (I just finished doing a space invader close game, in just a few days, was lots of fun).

You could also create apps by yourself or with a partner, you dont need to be part of a software company or whatever.

Also, Im not convinced with the 10 year thing. It depends on how good you are at programming, thats the important part.
Last edited on
Did you learn in college or did you self teach yourself it? If you self taught, what books did you use. The only good C++ book ive managed to find was C++ Through Game Programming. I have Jumping into C++ which I dont like, and C++ for dummies, which I havent read much yet.
Bjarne Stroustrup Programming Principles and Practice Using C++

That is probably the best way to start learning C++ from a book in my opinion. He created C++ so he knows what he is talking about. You can find it online for free as a pdf.

Just take it once chapter at a time and do ALL the exercises if you can help it. If you can finish that book you will have a great beginner's grasp on C++ and it will take no where near 10 years.
Alright ill try those books. I was going to get those first but people were saying how they were too hard. Is C++ Primer a good book too?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.