How to make an MMORPG

Pages: 12
Hi im not sure if this is the right spot to post this question but anyway...

I want to make an MMORPG but dont know how to get started i dnt know what programs i should be using or how i should be going about making it...the only thing i can do at the moment is right down on a sheet of paper what i want. i Just dont have enough knowledge on how to get my ideas (which are pretty good if i dont say so my self lol;)
on to a computer and actually go somewhere..hope i can get some help (any would be appreciated)

thanks

ps (sry put the wrong name up not RPG but MMORPG)
Last edited on
Can you program? If you can't program, then there's really not much we can do other than point you to basic programming tutorials or books, or suggest such tools as RPG Maker (which also requires some programming logic, anyway).
Start here for some C++ tutorials: http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

C++ is a pretty standard language for game programming, though not necessarily the easiest to learn. You may just want to read through a few of the tutorials first, see if it's even something you want to pursue further.
ive got the tutorial already and im learning how to use program i knew that was one thing i needed to learn thing is i want to go to university to learn how to make games i just want to get a head start :)
Woooow, a MASSIVELY played RPG? And ONLINE? Phew. I doubt it dude, not to put your hopes down. But C++... it's all 2-D basically. You won't have many 3-D objects, unless you spent years on your project. And online... C++ is sort of PC based, not server Try Java, Flash, or something else. And check up on your programming, or maybe your spelling on second thought.
Last edited on
SomeOneHackedMyName:
But C++... it's all 2-D basically.
You don't have any idea what you're talking about, do you?
Beginners should listen, not speak.
Oh, and unless you don't mind sounding like a complete noob (because newbie is just too experienced in this case), you shouldn't list XHTML and CSS as skills in a programming forum.
But is it possible to do??? i dont care if it takes a few years (or ten) i just want a project to do and since i think making a game would be awsome it gives me motovation to learn how to program and design. Somthing i always start doing then give up.
Woooow, a MASSIVELY played RPG? And ONLINE? Phew. I doubt it dude, not to put your hopes down. But C++... it's all 2-D basically. You won't have many 3-D objects, unless you spent years on your project. And online... C++ is sort of PC based, not server Try Java, Flash, or something else. And check up on your programming, or maybe your spelling on second thought.

Holy Crap! WTF? O.O

You don't have any idea what you're talking about, do you?
Beginners should listen, not speak.
Oh, and unless you don't mind sounding like a complete noob (because newbie is just too experienced in this case), you shouldn't list XHTML and CSS as skills in a programming forum.

Well said. +1
XD lol my Topic is becoming a war zone XD
But is it possible to do???

Yes, 100% it is possible to do. I guess to start you should look into ncurses library.
Next you can look into openGL

????
thnks
<sarcasm> i didn't know that world of warcraft and guildwars, etc etc were made using java a flash.... how cool, guess I DO! learn something new everyday :D </sarcasm>

@shadowraith, you may want to try the ORGE library, it has an open source game engine and lots of goodies for games programming check out:

http://www.ogre3d.org/

recommended reading list:
http://www.ogre3d.org/documentation/books

As you can imagine this is not something you can pick up within a month and then jump into like html/flash/javascript, people spend years just getting the basics of c++ down. But if it truly is a dream and something you wish to pursue then best of luck. I recommend if your even only slightly interested in it then go for it, most of the people in my classes are doing it as a 'different career path' or 'something to pass the time' only to learn that (heaven forbid) it's actually hard work and something they have no desire to do. Which is good for the rest of us who are passionate and committed as there is less competition in the work force, which in turn leads to bigger pay checks, and more diverse range of choices. :)
Last edited on
A lot of online games are made using python or java. Python is awesome, and easier to learn than C++. You probably won't notice performance differences unless you get into 3D graphics.

Helios, I think SomeoneHackedMyName meant that he will only have enough skill to deal with 2D objects for a long time. For example, SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer) is 2D; but you can use ogre3D or openGL for 3D objects. You should definitely learn SDL first; start off with 2D objects. gcampton's post is fairly informative.

Which is good for the rest of us who are passionate and committed as there is less competition in the work force, which in turn leads to bigger pay checks, and more diverse range of choices. :)

That's good, because I have a huge amount of motivation. Plus by the time I'm old enough to get into a university (3 or 4 years from now) I'll have been programming for nearly 4 or 5, so the classes will be very easy to understand for a long time.

All in all, however, I just want qualifications. I don't know if you can get them without doing the courses; unless you just work.
It's pretty sad really, out of a class of 50-55 in first semester perhaps 8-10 will graduate. In semester 2 a couple dropouts, leaving only 5-8 graduating the entire course :) that's per 18months.

It is not university but still, as a guide 40-50% of students at uni typically dropout of classes as simple as business, teaching and marketing etc. I would think another 20% of those would dropout of software engineering due to the learning curve.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
When you move into 3D graphics, you need to move to lower levels of programming. It increases the amount of people who will play your game, not to add the stability (in a certain perspective) and amount of features allowed to be placed into your game without heavily affecting it. Major engines like the Unreal Engine and Quake Engine are great examples of this and both are flexible and extremely fast and have more features than most free engines can produce in a couple years, one of the few advantages of commercial applications.
I agree somewhat but the fact is he had to ask, so I'm guessing it's a few years away yet at the very least, and at least he can play around with open source in the meantime.

That said some very incredible games have been produced on ogre3d, which is almost 10years old now. A lot of which are themselves open source for benefit of other ogre users.
thnks for all the help...lol yes it is a few years away (got to learn how to program first). Just trying to work out everything i will need to know.
This thread kinda reminds me to this other one http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/15633/
... and to these http://www.google.com/search?q=MMO&as_sitesearch=cplusplus.com

Anyways, what's the fuss about making MMORPGs? Single player RPGs (and single player games in general) can be really fun too.
Last edited on
Pages: 12