Advice??

Hello, i just wanted some input from professionals on whether or not my code is efficient or proper. its a simple program using pointers and dynamic memory allocation, and using functions. It outputs and compiles exactly how i wanted it to, i just wanted insight if its proper? also i would like to know if im using
delete[] dArray;
	dArray = NULL; 
correctly in the right place. i didnt know if i should use it in main() or in one of my function definitions.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void fillArray(int*, int&);

void printArray(const int*, int);

const int CAPACITY = 1000;

int main()
{

int *dArray;
	dArray = new int[CAPACITY];
	int numOfElements = 0;

fillArray(dArray, numOfElements);
	printArray(dArray, numOfElements);

delete[] dArray;
	dArray = NULL;

cout << "\n\n";
	system("PAUSE");
	return 0;
}

void fillArray(int *p_array, int& numOfElements)
{
	int index = 0, value;

cout << "Please type in values(-1 to stop, limit is 1000): ";
	cin >> value;

while ((value != -1) && (index < CAPACITY))
	{
		numOfElements++;
		p_array[index] = value;
		index++;
		cin >> value;
	}

}

void printArray(const int *p_array, int numOfElements)
{

cout << "Array: ";

for (int i = 0; i < numOfElements; i++)
	{
		cout << p_array[i] << " ";
	}
}
Everything looks fine, delete is in right place: no memory leaks, no invalid accesses.
Thank you!
For your fillArray and printArray functions I would be consistent on whether or not I passed the array size by value or reference. Since the parameter is an int, I'd probably just go with pass by value for both. So instead of
void fillArray(int*, int&); I'd say void fillArray(int*, int); and update the function definitions accordingly.

EDIT: Misinterpreted the purpose of the "numberOfElements" parameter; assumed it was used for bounds checking

If you wanted to go nuts on your const correctness, you could const both the data you're pointing at and the pointer itself.
void fillArray(int* const, int);
void printArray(const int* const, int);

https://isocpp.org/wiki/faq/const-correctness#const-ptr-vs-ptr-const
Last edited on
instead of void fillArray(int*, int&); I'd say void fillArray(int*, int); and update the function definitions accordingly.
...and break code because it does change value of passed variable
f you wanted to go nuts on your const correctness, you could const both the data you're pointing at and the pointer itself.

void fillArray(int* const, int);
void printArray(const int* const, int);
Making pointer function parameters const does not actually provide any benefit.
I think its probably good to get in the habit of using const where you can ( i.e., const pointers, pointers to const or both). It just seems like neater code.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.