Where to go next?

I'm quite new to C++. I've been teaching myself how to program using: C++ How To Program 4th ed*. I am quite comfortable with what I'm learning and would like to continue to learn C++. The book I'm using unfortunately, only covers ANSI/ISO Standard C++, which means no windows, or even linux programming. I'm predicting being done with the book within the next couple of months at my rather casual study pace. I'd like to, in the interim, get myself lined up for the next step.

Except for courses at my local Community College, which isn't currently a real option, what's the next step? I am interested, primarily in being pointed to books I can use to teach myself multiplatform application development. Like everyone I have my eye on making games, but I know you can't go from Hello World to World of Warcraft. What are some good books I can pick up to teach myself a)good C++ programming practice/standards, b)Good project design so my classes are actually useful and reusable, c)Windows programming, d)other platform (linux, OS/X) programming, e)web/server programming.

I think after getting through the book I'll have a good enough handle on Standards Complient C++ that Windows API and GUI programming would be next, but should I go somewhere else first? Also, what is a good route to take when it comes to learning to program in Windows. Should I learn a basic understanding of Windows API first? Start with MFC? Skip those and learn .NET related programming?

I need suggestions that will get me from beginner to programmer in a self-taught manner.

I eagerly anticipate any suggestions. Thanks.

*http://www.deitel.com/books/cppHTP4/index.html
Last edited on
Well in school I am actually using the 7th edition of that book. My teacher does not like it though so he doesnt really use it. My next course is advanced C++ and since its an elective he isnt even going to require a book. He wants to teach us GUI programming though in the advanced
This websie might prove useful to you if your running Linux. It introduces GTK.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cross-platform/gtksharpguide.aspx

Cheers
Yeah, I'm using v4 cause it was free. My brother used it in his college class a few years ago. I don't think there have been many major changes to the ANSI/ISO standard so I'm pretty comfortable using a couple year old book. And yeah, it's not great, but it's getting me the basics, and it didn't cost me anything.

I've seen alot of sites pointing me to Programing Windows 5th ed by Petzold*, however that book is over 10 years old. If anyone has it, is the book still valid. I'd be willing to buy it, but I don't want to inculcate poor practices and habits if the book is severely out of date. How beginner friendly is the book. Like I said, I'm comfortable with standard C++, but I have 0 experience in any non-standard library.

@MTod - Sweet. I'll look into it. That will be incentive to finally get that linux install I've been putting off done.

*http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Windows%C2%AE-Fifth-Microsoft/dp/157231995X/ref=pd_sim_b_14
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.