I need a challenge.

Hey guys. I just finished my second programming class. I got an A in the class. Im bored during my christmas break and am looking for something to do. I would like a little bit of a challenge. Below is a link of the homeworks I had to complete for last semester. I had no issues with completing these assignments with perfection during the semester. I hope this will kinda give you an idea of my level of experience.

http://www.aug.edu/~mcsmld/1302_hw.html

Im kinda bored of making programs that arent really usefull. I would like to make a application that can be useful to me or others. I just cant think of anything that would be fun to program and also make me think out of the box for a little bit.

I know this requires a decent amount of thought from you guys. Im very thankful for this site. It has helped me a lot and everyone I have encountered so far has been more than helpful.

Thanks for any response.
Brandon
Depends what you're into. Personally I'm into low level stuff.

I find network programming to be a reasonable challenge. Why don't you try that?

I'm not sure if you use windows or not; if so: http://www.madwizard.org/programming/tutorials/netcpp/
If not, you get to use the best socket programming guide ever: http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/multipage/index.html
Actually my minor is going to be in AIST is what they call it. Something INformation Assurance. Basically network security/hacking type stuff. I am VERY interested in this type of stuff btw.
I just took a intro to networking class as well that covered basic transmisson stuff. Routers, switching methods, tcp/ip, udp, OSI model, sockets ports all that good stuff.

I use windows but im taking a system admin class next semester that will teach me linux so i will be looking at both of these links.

Thanks for the links. Keep the ideas coming guys.
If you're gonna mess around with network programming, definitely install the program Wireshark. It's a network traffic analyzer (in English, it reads outgoing data packets), aka "packet sniffer." It'll show you how your messages are being sent out.
Ok cool. You and I are all over the place in these forums lol. I just like trying to help other people because it helps me freshen up on certain subjects that ive kinda forgotten.

I do it because I'm bored and potentially an insomniac. You know it's 2:20 AM here? Yeah, I should sleep... bye.
Hi Brandon

I can offer to you what you are asking for but in a bit different way.
I am bored to, so I decided to do something usefull for me and other owner drivers Australia wide.
That would be a programm which would incorporate different aspects of data, vital for our day to day performance as well as our income.

As you may predict it, my offer has a catch or two.
So if my offer tickle your senses and you really whant to be involved in something usefull, let me know and I will provide you with an update on what has been done so far.

Thanks

if in security start looking into RSA, DES algorithms. HUFFMAN coding etc.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.