HOURS and HOURs to make a simple GRAPH

Hello everyone,

I would need help. I have downloaded 100 libraries that I have put in my dev-c++ files (Windows) and visited millions of websites and forums without having an answer straight away.

I need help to produce a graph of my data. I always get a problem in the Makefile , apparently it does not find -lbgi.

Problem in the makefile.win at line:

$(BIN): $(OBJ)
$(CPP) $(LINKOBJ) -o $(BIN) $(LIBS)

I thought I had copied and pasted everything I needed from that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gibqiFtBARY

Can you help me with this? It seems like I am cursed for learning C++ because I cannot do anything without graphics.

Thanks,

What happened to the libbgi.a file that the video had you drop in the ~/lib folder?
(That's the file it is complaining about.)

If you did that, then there are two other important considerations that you may have missed (since it is not ever explained well to newbies):

Dev-C++ does not come with TDM-GCC, which is what the video's author used. You must use the same GCC as the WinBGIm is compiled against for it to work.

If you cannot find a WinBGIm version that matches your compiler, you'll need to download the source code and compile it. It is pretty easy -- just follow the instructions.

Choice of 32-bit and 64-bit libraries make a difference. You cannot use a 32-bit libbgi.a file with a 64-bit application (which is what TDM-GCC creates by default).

The first thing you want to do is identify the exact version of the GCC you have with your Dev-C++ installation (you can open the command line in the GCC bin directory and type "gcc --version" if all else fails).

Next, determine what kind of executables you wish to create (32-bit, 64-bit, or both), and how to make it happen.

Then you'll need to either find a matching WinBGIm that somebody compiled online, or simply download the source yourself and compile it. I recommend the latter -- it really is fairly easy.

If you get stuck, post back.

Hope this helps.
I haven't worked in dev-c++ for years, but most compilers have search directories you can specify. Make sure you specify your .a file directory in those search directories if that's something you have the capability to do.
The youtube video indicated moving the .a file to the GCC's ~/lib directory, which is what I also recommend. (Just remember that TDM-GCC has ~/lib for 64-bit and ~/lib32 for 32-bit library files. In general, other versions of the GCC must have their options modified to handle it similarly.)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.