Notepad ++

Hey Folks, I just started using Notepad ++ and I must say its a great user interface, I know a lot of people here already use it, but for those who are new like me, its a great program, anyhow, just wanted to recommend it in case people were getting frustrated with other IDE's like I was, its already helped me with my bracketing issues as well as really sped up locating bugs, and it looks like there are many other features (that I am not even aware of yet) that I am sure I can take advantage of in the future.Anyhooo, just wanted to relay that.
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
Wow thanks. It is pretty visually appealing. I'll be sure to check it out.
...I like notepad also, but could never figure out how to compile in it. Have you guys configured notepad so you can compile?
Notepad++ is a text editor, not an IDE, you can't compile your code with it.
R0mai is completely right. N++ is excellently code oriented but you'd better get yourself a compiler if you plan on actually making any code with it.
Besides what problems were you having with IDEs? N++ is pretty much an IDE's text editor section withot compilation, linking or code utilities.
sorry, my bad, its a great test editor, thanks for pointing that out, I hate making innacurate descriptions(which i do often)
...no problems with other IDE's just thought it would be nice to compile and run from notepad. I did find a few threads on it way back, I think there is a way to point to compiler within notepad, and add hot keys to compile.
before i am using Notepad++ as my editor and Borland Compiler 5.5,

now i use code::blocks IDE. makes life easier.
http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5
Last edited on
If you have bracket trouble, I suggest instantly typing a closing bracket each time you input an opening one and just type your code in between. I used to have the same difficulty, started closing them right after and I haven't had trouble since.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
There are plugins you can use with Notepad++ to help compilation with the text editor. Really though, I use it for simple editing and reading readme. It also has tabbing and advanced syntax supporting about 25 different languages not to mention additional plugins for more support.

I will use it to help change and maintain a project with an already built foundation.

To build a foundation, I use an IDE. The IDE I use generates a lovely makefile which is given with the project. This allows people to use NP++ with my project the way I do with theirs.
@blackcoder- I just downloaded Codeblocks, I associated the program with the visual studio express compiler I have been using, not the GNU GCC compiler that came with it, it looks great. I will have to try it out, its display is very much like the VS2008 express interface which is nice. I like having options and that seems like it will be a great one.

@yoked88- lol, i started doing that just in recent weeks before downloading notepad , it worked out well , except when i was typing prewritten assignments from my tutorial guide, I would catch a case of dyslexic kerfluster and miss a lot of stuff. The notepad ++ does the open close bracket reminder automatically without doing the work for you, if you miss a bracket you still have to go back and correct it. It also helps with my indentation correctly, Ill post my last code I wrote in notepad ++, you can see a big difference from my earlier codes.

@ computerequip, I'll have to look through the plugins, thanks :)

[\edit] this is ALL new to me. When I came across notepad++, I actually hadn't been using anything except regular notepad or other plain text editors, so that was like finding the fountain of youth , LOL ;)

// My last assignment using Notepad ++

//Use friend operator functions.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

class ThreeD  {
	int x, y, z; // 3-d coordinates
public:
	ThreeD()  {x = y = z = 0;}
	ThreeD(int i, int j, int k)  {x=i; y=j; z=k;  }

friend ThreeD operator+(ThreeD op1, ThreeD op2); //1. Here operator+() is a friend of ThreeD 

void show();
};

//The + is now a friend function
ThreeD operator+(ThreeD op1, ThreeD op2)// 2. Notice that 2 parameters are required
{
	ThreeD temp;

temp.x = op1.x + op2.x;
	temp.y = op1.y + op2.y;
	temp.z = op1.z + op2.z;
	return temp;
}

// Show X,Y,Z coordinates
void ThreeD::show()
{
	cout << x << ", ";
	cout << y << ", ";