Returning true vs returning 1, would this affect performance?

I'm grading someone's code.

They are returning a bool but their code says return 1 rather than return true

/*******************************************
 * Queue :: EMPTY
 *******************************************/
template <class T>
bool Queue <T> :: empty() const
{
   if (numItems == 0)
      return 1;
   else
      return 0;
}

Is this a bad practice? On the one hand, you are doing an implicit casting, which I feel like is sorta slow.

On the other hand, bool is such a small data type I wonder if casting it is rather inexpensive. Should I tell these guys to not return an int or to just let this code be?
Last edited on
The performance difference is likely completely negligible, although I've never benchmarked it. This is more a question of style than performance. Stylistically I'd prefer to return true or false when the function return type is bool.
Why not just return numItems == 0; to avoid both implicit conversions and redundant code and, to appease some purists, multiple exit points?

In any case, the compilers aren't that dumb: this function compiles into two CPU instructions on intel cpus: testl or cmpl followed by sete or cmove, depending on the compiler. Using true/false instead of 1/0 does not change the code.
Last edited on
In any case, the compilers aren't that dumb: this function compiles into two CPU instructions on intel cpus: testl or cmpl followed by sete or cmove, depending on the compiler. Using true/false instead of 1/0 does not change the code.

Thanks!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.