Issues learning C++

Alright ill start off by saying who i am. My name is Patrick im 28 and i have been trying to learn C++ for sometime now. I have about 2-3books like Beginning C++ game programming and i have watched a few VTM also. I have always used 3rd party programs to cheat in games and scripts. I have always played around with reading code and recoding parts of them to have the script act like i want. I have always been interested in C++ programming sadly each time i start a book i get about halfway and seem to lose interest since its all Console programming. I need something that keeps me more interested. I love games and most books seems to stick to console/text games.

So my question is what are my options. I really want to learn programming and get around to graphic programming so i can use something more then a console game. I have had this problem for a while and cant seem to find a solution.

Im desprate and sick and tired of not being able to finish my learning. i tried to force myself to finish the book but i keep faling asleep or distracted.

HELP!!!
Go back to unknowncheats and download other peoples scripts and hacks. I don't think you have the motivation to learn how to program, I think you just want to make game hacks, which I don't think you will be able to do without programming experience hence why you should just stick to downloading what others make.

Good luck!

PS: If you read through the books, I'm pretty sure they all cover enough information to give you a basic idea of C++, and guide you on your way to making whatever you want to make. It's not that you are not able to finish your learning, it's that you are setting an unrealistic goal for yourself without even reading half of a book.

If you are suffering all of these symptoms from just the basics, I don't think you can move on to more advanced things.

Maybe a pro hax0r can give their input on this.
Last edited on
Once you get a good grasp of the basics of c++, you can use a library like SFML, which is super easy to learn and use for making graphics game. I made Space invaders with it (not in a console, but with real graphics and real controls and collision etc) after only began learning c++ for 2 months.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHJE4y54mpC5j_x90UkuoMZOdmmL9-_rg

I learned from the SFML Documentation and especially from this youtube guide^

Edit: Did I mention that it's super easy? You can create a window, have a 2D Character on the window and be able to move it around in only a few lines of code =)
Last edited on
Thx TarikNeaj ill check into that library.

Newatthis im not looking to create game cheats i was just mentioning that i have been messing around with scripts for a long time event before i started to program. it was just a way to say i have always been interested in programming.

im also having a hard time learning arrays and pointers and there actual use. i have been trying to find a Game example to understand there use but i cant find anything. if i can get past those maybe ill be able to get further in my books.
A tour of c++ by Bjarne Stroustrup is probably the best book for beginners to learn from. It's only 180 pages, and you'll learn all the basics and more in c++11 (modern c++).

There are lots of youtube videos that demonstrate how arrays work and why they are useful, incase text doesn't do it for you, but I'll give a real quick example.

Say you need 200 different numbers. You can do

int number1, int number2, int number3, int number4, int number5, int number6, ..., int number200;

As you can already see, that's really messed up. Now if you want to give all those variables a value, you're gonna have to do it 200 times, and so on. Instead you can write all of that like this

int arr[200];

And you can simply write a for-loop, and 1-3 lines of code to fill the array with the numbers you want =)

In terms of games it's the same thing, just not with integers. I did space invaders once, and I had all my aliens in an array.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.