dvd-rom open-close

Hy I'm new here.
Can anyone help me wit a c++ code to open-close dvd-rom drive?
if posibile une function to oppen and other to close.
Thanks
How much skill do you have with C++? I'd bet that's very API-specific.
I'm C++ beginer.
Then there's no way. If you haven't even worked your way through templates them I wouldn't say you're in any position to learn an API and figure out the code to manage a disk drive. File management is easy, actually, but physical disk open-close action is definitely out of your league. (It's out of mine and I've been doing this as a hobby for over six years.)
Well do you actually understand any of that source?
Like I said already, you are going way out of your depth. Funny things happen when people overestimate themselves.
crawl before you walk..
And definitely crawl before you sprint.
crawl before you learn to program
If you haven't even worked your way through templates them I wouldn't say you're in any position to learn an API and figure out the code to manage a disk drive.

You don't need to know templates for an API which were made for C. Although that's true, it's impossible to understand complex API's (like windows') without experience.
DISCLAIMER:
I use templates as a general gauge for when a person has enough experience in core C++ to start moving onto bigger things, because I consider API programming to be a higher level than essential syntax. You can get a lot done with syntax alone but there is a point whereupon you must advance into platform-specific code to get better, and I'd say that once you've covered templates you have enough of the basics to move on. However, opinions vary and some people would (and could) say that you can pick up API material at just about any level. (I consider that to be ridiculous but hey)
My point was : there are no templates in C, would you want a C programmer to learn the C++ syntax before working with a C API? I just don't understand why are you using templates as the general gauge to measure somebody's experience.
Last edited on
Wait, which API are we talking about here?
I use templates as a gauge because templates were the last major thing I covered on general syntax when I learned C++. After that I started messing with windows API. I also did namespaces, volatile, etc but I consider these things to be less significant.
Last edited on
I think he's talking about the win32 API. It's C-based.
I think he's talking about the win32 API.

Correct. I assumed tummychow was talking about the win32 API, since advista posted a link for a win32 example. Of course 90% of the C++ APIs are using templates, for using those one have to learn templates.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.