Knowledge needed for GUI and OpenGL

Hi guys,
I was wondering how much knowledge of C++ would be needed to start programming GUI applications (I would probably use FLTK because I have heard that it is the easiest GUI tool kit to use) and 3D OpenGL programming.
I have tried different languages (Python, Ruby, C) and recently Java and I have always gone back to C++, but gave up because I figured that it would take to long to learn the language. I find C++ very interesting (much more interesting than other languages) but I always give up.
I have ordered a copy C++ Primer Plus and I picked up a copy of C++ for Dummies (sorry guys!) today and I assume that I wont be able to learn enough from C++ For Dummies to program GUI applications and OpenGL (am I right in saying this?) but would a book like C++ Primer Plus teach me enough C++ to reach my goals?
closed account (1vD3vCM9)
You could use as you say, FLTK (never used, no experience with it), C++ premier will teach you the very basics and a bit beyond, however the most recommended thing to do is continue learning and reading more and more and MORE books!

OpenGL is an other story itself to learn, pick up a book and read.
If you want to do something with OpenGL you should use / make a math library, for beginners use "glm", " OpenGL math", you will need to study Vector math, and Matrices math, (and even quaternion math if you please)

A long way yet its worth it from my opinion.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
FLTK is used in Bjarne Stroustrup's "Programming, Principles and Practice Using C++" book starting chapter 12.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.