C++ Beginer

hi all,
I just learn the language of c++, I am using microsoft visual c + + 2008 express edition if you have any suggestions about what should I learn first.
Where should I start ..??
If you fly through the tutorial and need more, you can find quite a few ebooks from google. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=c%2B%2B+pdf+tutorial&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=c%2B%2B+pdf&gs_rfai=&fp=22b4dcbb1403dc0f
well, when I start learn C++. I installed VS but I only using "cl " command to compile my code. I think the key is to learn C++ language but VS. VS is a very useful and powerful tool. but it you are new to VS. Do not wast your time on it. I recommend you edit your code in Notepad++ or other editor. and compile it in console.
bolo809 wrote:
Do not wast your time on it. I recommend you edit your code in Notepad++ or other editor. and compile it in console.

What? That's horrible advice. Stick to using Visual C++. No company will ever have you writting code in notepad++.
hi return0,

I am not a experienced programmer. and I think as a beginner, the first thing is study C++ grammer and then study the tools. VS and other project tools make the coding easy and more efficient. So if we are beginner. we should study step by step. Is there any company use beginner to code business software? I mean we should catch the key point. If there is not enough experience on C++. we should let our simple code running first. VS and other tools are important. but now. we should walk first but run.
VS and other project tools make the coding easy and more efficient

Uh... yeah. Using an IDE in no way hinders your learning experience. In fact it improves it! Visual Studio is not a difficult program to use for beginners. Type code, hit F5.
Using any sort of IDE doesn't mean you are running. Even as a beginner, you can take advantage of the basic benefits an IDE like VS or Eclipse provides without hampering your study of the C++ language. Using tools that make coding easier and more efficient is never a bad thing. Learning to properly use an IDE is also never a waste of your time.

In particular, no matter what level you're starting at, you should become familiar with how to debug code as early as possible, and Visual Studio easily has the best C++ debugger available.

You aren't truly able to walk until you can debug your code. Good luck doing that with Notepad++. No bashing of Notepad++ intended, it's a great general purpose editor. I use it quite a bit myself, but not as a replacement for VS or Eclipse.
IDE vs text editor... it's really up to your preference. I'd say there are benefits to learning how to use a compiler from command line, but IDE has the critical advantage of a debugger, among other things. In the long run, I'd bet you'll end up using an IDE if you go into a job in programming.
closed account (jwC5fSEw)
As a beginner, I started with VC++ and migrated to Code::Blocks purely for the convenience of being able to compile individual files not in a project. I also have been toying around with g++ from the command line for the past few days; overall, it's sort of interesting, but it's just so much more convenient to use an IDE.

I've heard from basically everywhere that debugging is important, so I'm gonna start trying that out tomorrow. I'm also probably going to go back to VC++ for anything more than simple exercises, seeing as it seems to be a popular choice.
I would try to make a simple calculator like I am doing, also for the IDE/compiler I use what you said in your 1st post :) Good luck, hope you get better :)
Thank's all. i want learn c++ with GUI interface because I think making the console application is not attractive because they appear only in black and white only.
someone can help me to make a simple calculator.
which can calculate +, -, *, and / only.
please help me.
here you go
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/simple_window.html

Note: this is just a tutorial for the window :)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.