setw Problems?

I have a problem with setw inside my while loop. When I run it, the first 30 loops are fine. On the 31st loop, there is an extra space for no reason. Anyone know why?

while (principal >= principalpaid)  
	{
	  if (month == 1)
	  {
	    cout << setw(19) << "0" << setw(28) << "$ 0.00" << setw(27) << "$ 0.00" << setw(17) << "$ " << principal << endl; 
	  }

interest2 = principal * interest;
	  principalpaid = payment - interest2;
	  principal = principal - principalpaid;

cout << setw(19) << month++ << setw(24) << "$ " << interest2 << setw(21) << "$ " << principalpaid << setw(17) << "$ " << principal << endl;

}
When I get rid of the dollar sign before principalpaid, principal works fine. When I add the dollar sign in, principal gets a space added to it every thirty loops.
Hello XRayKiller,

I do not have enough information to test the loop, but I am thinking that the "setw()" before principalpaid and principal may be to small. Or you might try putting the "setw()" on the right side of "$ " and see what happens.

Hope that helps,

Andy
setw only applies to the next thing that is outputted. If you want to set the width for both the dollar sign and the value combined I think you will have to first convert them to a string so that you can output them both in one operation.

cout << setw(10) << ("$ " + to_string(value)) << endl;
Last edited on
Hello XRayKiller,

I do not know if this will work with real numbers, but it should give you a place to start from.

while (principal >= principalpaid)
{
	std::cout << std::fixed << std::showpoint;
	if (month == 1)
	{
		std::cout << std::setw(19) << "0" << std::setw(31) << "$    0.00" << std::setw(31) << "$     0.00" << std::setw(21) << "$   " << std::setprecision(2) << principal << std::endl;
	}

interest2 = principal * interest;
	principalpaid = payment - interest2;
	principal = principal - principalpaid;

std::cout << std::setw(19) << month++ << std::setw(24) << "$ ";
	std::cout << std::setw(9) << std::setprecision(2) << interest2 << std::setw(21) << "$ ";
	std::cout << std::setw(10) << std::setprecision(2) << principalpaid << std::setw(17) << "$ ";
	std::cout << std::setw(10) << std::setprecision(2) << principal << std::endl;

// Original.
	//std::cout << std::setw(19) << month++ << std::setw(25) << "$ " << interest2 << std::setw(21) << "$ " << principalpaid << std::setw(17) << "$ " << principal << std::endl;
}

Hope that helps,

Andy
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.