How can I create a node counting function and a 3-parameter constructor for my binary search tree?

Hello,

I'm trying to see how the following code looks like:
1) If I wanted to make a three-parameter constructor for my BST below, how would it look like?

2) I have a global variable called NodeCount that counts the nodes every time a new one is created, but I want to create a recursive function to do it instead. I'm not sure how that would look either. Maybe I could name it size(Tnode *t) or something.

Thank you!

#include<iostream>
using namespace std;

int nodeCount;

struct TNode
{
	int data;
	TNode* left;
	TNode* right;

};

// Take integer, create new node, and return address of new node
TNode* GetNewNode(int data)
{
	TNode* newNode = new TNode(); //Define newNode as a pointer, create new memory block, assign newNode to that block

newNode->data = data; //Takes the data passed into the function and copies it to the data field in the new node
	// (*newNode) "newNode is dereferenced" .data = data; Dereferencing gives you a value. Assign this value "data" as into the new field!
	newNode->left = NULL; //Default value is NULL, or 0.
	newNode->right = NULL;

return newNode; //Returns address of new node
}

TNode* Insert(TNode* root, int data) //Note how 'root' is a local variable and the address of the root.
{
	if(root == NULL)
	{
		root = GetNewNode(data);

nodeCount++;

return root;
	}

else if(data <= root->data) //If the new data 'data' is less than or equal to the older data 'root->data'
	{
		root->left = Insert(root->left, data); //Set left field of current node equal to the address of the new node
	}

else if(data > root->data) //If the new data 'data' is greater than the older data 'root->data'
	{
		root->right = Insert(root->right, data); //Set right field of current node equal to the address of the new node
	}

return root;
}

int main()
{
	TNode* root = NULL; //Creating an empty tree
	root = Insert(root, 15); //Note that we set the default address of 'root' to 0, or NULL
	root = Insert(root, 10); //The second parameter, 'data' is the integer to be inserted
	root = Insert(root, 20);

int number;

cout << "There are " << nodeCount << " nodes in this tree." << endl << endl;

cout << "Enter a number to be searched:" << endl;
	cin >> number;
Last edited on
If I wanted to make a three-parameter constructor for my BST below, how would it look like
struct TNode
{
	int data = 0;
	TNode* left = nullptr;
	TNode* right = nullptr;

TNode(){}
	TNode(const int varData, TNode* varLeft, TNode* varRight)
	: data(varData), left(varLeft), right (varRight){}
	~TNode() {std::cout << "Goodbye " << data << "\n";}
};

the point of sticking in the dtor as well was to illustrate that at the moment your program leaks, objects created on the heap are not deleted
it'd be better to have a linked list of the nodes and then insert in order into the list and implement a dtor for the list that'd delete the list's nodes - see here for a similar discussion:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/210745/#msg988500
have a global variable called NodeCount

there is no particular reason to use this global variable, instead the list can have a data-member to keep track of the number of nodes in the list. this is also used in the above example's link
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.