Visual C++ 2008 not creating a .exe file

Hi,

This is my first day C programming and I have a problem. When I compile my code, no .exe file is created.

My object is called ex1, because it is the first exercise in my book. In my debug folder I have a file called "ex1.exe.intermediate.manifest"

Why is this and how can I fix it?
The compiler told me it had succeeded with no errors :/

Any help is appreciated. Source code below:

#include<stdio.h>
int main(){
printf("Hello World!");
return 0;
}
You should be able to run it right from the compiler without having an .exe.
Last edited on
Build -> Build Solution

There are two debug folders, One is for project (the one you're looking at), two is the for the solution (where the .exe should be)
Even though Visual C++ is great to get a good grip on, and is fantastic for larger projects... I wouldn't recommend it for beginner - since file management can become an agony after a while, since a new project has to be created for every new source file.

I use Dev C++ instead, while learning. I intend to jump into Visual C++ 2010 later though, have it downloaded and installed already :)
I wouldn't recommend Dev C++
I'd prefer to stay in Visual C++.

I only have one debug folder in the same directory as the source code. Should I have 2?

I understand that the code can be run in debug mode but just for the sake of learning I want to build an executable
Thanks for the video,

I have done exactly what the video said (except my code is in C, not C++). In that Debug Folder, i do not have an executable. instead I have a file with extension:

".exe.intermediate.manifest"

For some reason its adding the extra extension on
I just ried changing the build configuration from debug to release but the same thing hapened: I now have a file called "ex1.exe.intermediate.manifest" in the "Release" folder too!
I don't know what's wrong, I'm not having problems in producing .exe even with C code.

Are you getting two Debug folders?

Try making a C++ project then make another C project.
Ah I found it, the compiled output was being sent to another directory (another hard drive even!), that's why I couldn't find it.

My VS 2008 version is now compiling .cpp files but not .c files, I think this is something to do with the fact that I installed VS 2010 last night. I'll look in more depth.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.