DevC++

hello, i got DevC++ and have a problem. When i try to run the simplest code, like the hello world program it gives me an error.

make.exe C:\Dev-Cpp\make.exe
Circular Main <- Main.o dependency dropped.
C:\Dev-Cpp\Makefile.win
[Build Error] [nick.exe] Error 1

THIS IS THE CODE:////////////////////////////////////////

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{

cout << "Hello World!!!!" << endl;

system("pause");
return(0);
}

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The makefile to build your project is corrupted. Go to your project directory and delete the file named "Makefile" and all derivations thereof.

Reload Dev-C++ and compile again. It should re-generate the makefile to build your project.

Hopefully that will fix the problem. If it doesn't just post back and someone else here that knows more about Dev-C++ than I can help.
no it did not work. same thing happend!
Crud. Well, I've never used Dev-C++, so you'll have to wait until someone who knows enough about it can help. It's the weekend so it might be a couple of days... Sorry.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I don't use Dev-C++ either but there may be a clue in the compile log if you can find it (I would expect it to produce one).
come on someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm using C++ and i tested your code and it works just fine. really hmm try re downloading it
would ...

#include <cstdlib> 

make a difference?
I remembered running DevC++ and have the same problem. I couldn't fixed it so I just switched to MinGW Developer Studio. :(
I'm not familiar with Dev C++ either but from the look of it, Duoas is right, the problem is your makefile, not your code. Could you post it on here?
what does
#include <cstdlib>
do?
The system() function is declared in the <cstdlib> header.
I completely missed that. It could be worth checking to see if that is the cause of the error.
cstdlib is your c standard library, it contains all of the standard functions that were in C. Am i right Duoas?
Yep. All the ones that were in <stdlib.h> anyway.

Weren't you the one who suggested it?
Yup, I saw it missing in his include statements and was just like... hmm i think you need this lol... What do you do for a living that you know so much? lol or are you just hobbyist?
Heh heh heh, I'm just old.

No actually I'm only about 30, but I've been programming for over twenty years now. After a while it just sinks in and you can't escape. :-)

Tag. You're it.
Haha well im a student at DeVry University in Orlando studying Game and Simulation programming, with hopes of breaking into the industry. I'm only in my second semester and have excelled in my C++ class and Assembly class, am president of the gaming club we have down here, Student Ambassador, blah-dee-blah-dee-blah haha. I'm 18 and picked up programming books just waiting for my classes and just been in love with the stuff ever since. Get such good feeling when i get something working and just loving it, and your help is awesome, i really hope you stay on this site b/c i will definitely be here asking questions I have.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.