Help me to understand this question

Pages: 12
You are given positive integers N and D. You may perform operations of the following two types:

1- add D to N, i.e. change N to N+D
2- change N to digitsum(N)
Here, digitsum(x) is the sum of decimal digits of x. For example, digitsum(123)=1+2+3=6 and digitsum(100)=1+0+0=1.

You may perform any number of operations (including zero) in any order. Please find the minimum obtainable value of N and the minimum number of operations required to obtain this value.

Example Input
2 1
9 3
11 13
Example Output
1 9
3 2
1 4

Explanation
Example case 1: The value N=1 can be achieved by 8 successive "add" operations (changing N to 10) and one "digit-sum" operation.
You get given two numbers.

You can transform the first number into another number.
There are two ways you can do that transformation.

You have to make that first number as small as possible, by doing those transformations.

So do that. Make it as small as possible, in as few transformations as possible.

Can anyone give hint in this question?
What algorithms have you experimented with already?
Deleted
Last edited on
Why would your algorithm give the minimum value of N? Why would it give the minimum number of steps to achieve N? If I say that step 2 should loop 9455 times instead of 10^4, then would I be right or wrong? Why? What if I said that the number is N2-4D/3?

You need to think about the algorithm and the steps. Don't worry about the code until you're sure about the algorithm. After all, there's no point in committing an algorithm to code when you don't know what the algorithm is.
can anyone drop a hint please ?
Last edited on
Last edited on
2 4
8 0
1 10
1 5
1 11
1 8
1 2
1 3
1 3
1 10
@Repeater I had figured out the algorithm but some test cases are showing WA. I'm quite sure I am missing some boundary cases. Can you give me some edge cases to debug my code?
@pplo123, same here mate, im getting one WA in subtask 1, and three WA in subtask 2.
yeah, we are definitely missing some corner cases.
Could anyone please drop a good input in order to debug the code
@maxdaen I am getting the same test cases wrong. Please someone gives us some edge cases.
@pplo123
Can you show your code as to make some improvements?
any one getting task number 6 AC ??.. i am getting failed at that one task
Last edited on
@pplo123, Your answer for 95,83 is wrong. It should be 1,9 (add 83 6 times, add digits, add 83, add digits).
please can any one just give a hint on how should we start this question?I am not getting any kind of hint on how to do this question .Thanks.
i did it using complete binary tree 100% AC
@tpd Thanks for finding the error.
pplo123 have you solved mindsum?
Pages: 12