Which IDE? [Windows Vista 64-bit]

Ok... I'm not sure if I should ask the question here... I have been Googling the terms "C++ IDE on Windows Vista" and I found some pretty good threads on the topic...
I found that there are many IDEs which I can use on Windows Vista and build professional level applications... But I have some points against each one of them.

1- Dev-C++ seems to be the most popular... But it is old and not regularly updated (in fact there have not been any updates since 2005 - as on bloodshed.net)... Also, I didn't quite like it since it is just an editor bundled with a compiler and nothing else. I need something more - say - fashionable, plus it should have some form-designing utility...

2- MSVC++ and MS Visual Studio are also very popular... It contains everything I want but it is costly...

3- NetBeans is very good. It gives me all that Visual Studio gives, and is free as well. It has a handsome interface... But it has some problems... I shall be delighted to hear from someone who has got it working on Windows... I loved it. I have been badgering the Mods on NetBeans forums but it is taking a lot of time...

4- CodeBlocks is no better than Dev-C++ except that it is updated regularly.

Ok... That is all I have tried... Is there some other, better option? If there is, please let me know. Thanks a lot...
1- Dev-C++ is the worst IDE in moderns day.
2- MSVS is MS IDE/Compiler, you can use the express edition for free
3- NetBeans is a free cross platform Java IDE which supports C++ as well
4- C::B is a free cross platform C/C++ IDE ( way better than Dev-C++ )

I personally like C::B

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/7263/
Ok...
1- Agreed, Dev-C++ is old fashioned.
2- Agreed, I can use the express edition but I don't think the express edition includes all the stuff that I am looking for.
3- NetBeans, I hear it is basically used for Java, true, but it supports C/C++, that is true as well. It is working well until compiling. But not able to link on Windows. Dunno why. Love it, but can't use it.
4- I just had a glance at C::B and I though it was just like Dev-C++. Maybe you are right, it might be better.

I am gonna catch your referral and rely on C::B for now. Hope it is good.
I can use the express edition but I don't think the express edition includes all the stuff that I am looking for.
I just had a glance at C::B and I though it was just like Dev-C++. Maybe you are right, it might be better.
IMO, you are thinking too much. Why don't you just try the various IDEs and see which is the best for you? You don't need to look for features you will never use
When I first looked into programming a few years ago I choose Dev C++.
I still use it even though I downloaded the MSV C++ because Dev C++ works with what I do.

Just try out a compiler and if it works and you like it then use it. Then if you need to upgrade, try to find one that does what you need to.
I just had a glance at C::B and I though it was just like Dev-C++.
I don't think so..

By the way, I use Code:Blocks and Visual Studio.. not to mention visual studio is free for students.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.