Trouble allocating memory to Dynamic Array

To regather my knowledge of dynamic memory (after 2 weeks without a computer), I'm doing a small sorting program where the user enters the number of elements in an array, then a for loop allows the user to enter each individual value. Then the program will sort the array in ascending order.

I'm having trouble even getting my dynamic array to even store any data at all. Using debugging mode that starts right after the for loop to gather each element value, I see that my dynamic array doesn't actually have any individual elements, but has its one value which always captures the first value inputted. For instance if the user enters 5 for element 0, that is the value of Array, regardless of what is inputted after the first element. There are no element values, only a value for Array itself. It irks me that I can't realize what's wrong with my code because I feel like I should still know this.

I feel like the problem has to do with how I am initializing my dynamic array, however I'm at a loss. It seems I'm doing everything right. Only it seems as if the dynamic array doesn't actually take my variable n and set it to be the size of the array.

Here's my code:

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;

#define NULL 0

int main()
{
   float n                        = 0.0f; // size of array
   int g                        = 0;
   float temp                     = 0.0f; // variable to assign to number input
   cout << "Enter an array size: ";
   cin >> n;

float* Array                  = new float[n];

cout << endl;
   for ( int i = 0; i < n; i++ ) // unneeded function to output size of array, will probably remove later
   {
      g =   g + 1;
      cout << g << endl;

}

for ( int i = 0; i < n; i++ )
   {
      // list current element, ask user to enter, save value entered
      cout << "[" << i << "] = "; // [current element] = ?
      temp = 0.0f; 
      cin >> temp;
      Array[i] = temp; // assign number input to current element
   }

delete[] Array; // delete memory 
   Array = NULL; // array is now NULL

}
Last edited on
Appart from line 10, this works fine for me:
//float n                        = 0.0f; // size of array

// should be int
int n                        = 0; // size of array 
Yeah I tested it last night by printing each array element at a time.
for (int i = 0; i < n; i++)
	{
		cout << endl << Array[i] << " ";

}

They seem to save to the array. I'm just confused as to why when I am in debugging mode, Array doesn't show up as a static array would. In debugging mode, the value of float* Array is its position in memory. Then expanding it to see element values, the only value is the first value inputted and there is nothing in particular that the value seems to be assigned to.
Last edited on
I suppose that the debugger doesn't know that there is an array, all it sees is a float* so it exposes its contents. But C++ doesn't give any way to tell the difference between a single value and an array at that level.
I dare to say there's no harm to throw it away, that dynamic array. Think of it as a row having no beginning or no end just a length in bytes accounted for.
Assign it an operator setting the relative point wherever it needs, directing
either off sides.
Peharps such a property is the C++ trademark.
Indeed. I suppose dynamic arrays aren't able to be told apart from simple single value variables. Although it does make sense. They have no beginning or end, only what is assigned during runtime so it makes sense the compiler would not be able to tell the difference between a single value variable and a dynamic array. The only bad point of it is the confusion when debugging.
Last edited on
It is possible the debugger has an option to allow you to view it as an array. You'd have to play around with it.
Actually it is able but on certain circumstances.
This isn't an abiltiy but it is the outstanding property.
In short having used up all of its options one can get away from
awfull lot of formalities.
I would rename a debugger to a holewalker or a wholehack for exapmple.
It has a sense to crawl in it only in case of the unknown in the future.
Otherwise a road to the nonsense.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.