Where can I use C++?

Hi, I just discovered C++ today! Um..does anyone know what programs I can use C++ in, that has an output box..sort of thing? I'm trying to learn at an early age (12), so I can use it as an adult :D! Thanks!
Oh, and how do I use it? How do I get an output?
Geez, Zaita. He's 12 years old, I'm pretty sure he isn't a *NIX or Cygwin user. Goofball. You need to look into a C++ compiler. You can find some free ones, search Google for C++ compilers. If you are a Windows user just getting started, your best bet is Visual C++.

Windows C++ compilers will take your code and turn them into .exe files, executable files. Just like all the applications you use on a day to day basis. Just keep in mind you aren't going to be making any big programs like really nice music players, web browsers, or video games, which are usually made by teams. I just don't want you to get into it and think you will be making Quake 5 after programming for a month. If you work really hard, one day you could very well be able to get on a team to make videogames though so don't be discouraged!
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Geez, Zaita. He's 12 years old, I'm pretty sure he isn't a *NIX or Cygwin user. Goofball.

This should be fun...
Dev-C++, (which Zaita pointed to) is definitely more suited for beginners than Visual Studio is. Download that. Then check out the tutorials on this site.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Start from the beginning. Try compiling the examples and play around with them.
This should be fun...

Indeed :D

Geez, Zaita. He's 12 years old, I'm pretty sure he isn't a *NIX or Cygwin user. Goofball. You need to look into a C++ compiler. You can find some free ones, search Google for C++ compilers. If you are a Windows user just getting started, your best bet is Visual C++.

This makes no sense. Dev-C++ is a Windows based IDE that comes coupled with a copy if MingW (GCC for Windows). You do not need to have *nix or Cygwin knowledge or installed.

Of all available IDEs and Compiler combinations. Dev-C++ is the smallest, easiest and best suited for a new developer. 13mbs and 1 installer to get an IDE and Compiler. You can't beat that.

Visual Studio (or Visual C++) is definitely not an ideal IDE for a new developer unless you are in a classroom (academic) environment. Without someone being able to point out the functionality of the IDE a new programmer is surely going to be confused.

Please don't post inaccurate information.

Oh, and how do I use it? How do I get an output?

Dev-C++ is a very simple IDE. If you download the full copy with the compiler attached that is all you will need to start learning C++. From there, you can start going through some of the tutorials on this website and be on your way to knowing C++
I went through the tutorials..well some of them anyways. I type in something like cout <<"Hi :D!";, but I don't know where the output it...

I downloaded the program you recommended Zaita, I'm just not really sure how to use it.
You Hi. will appear in the console window when you run the application.
The console window will disappear immediately once the application terminates, so you will want to add a line to keep it open:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
  {
  cout << "Hello world!\n";

cout << "\n\n\n\nPress ENTER to quit";
  cin.ignore( 1000, '\n' );

return 0;
  }

Lines 8 and 9 instruct the user to press ENTER to end the program, then waits until he at least presses ENTER. Until then, it waits (with the console window showing your previous output --in this case, "Hello world!").

There is a pretty massive thread stickied at the top of this forum all about this issue.

Hope this helps.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.