A reference

Hello
Is there something that I can use as a reference. For example I type "cout" or "cin" and it shows me a page with information like syntax, example and other stuff if possible.
I have seen help files and websites like this for other programming languages.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/
Well isn't this embarrassing *goes and hides in corner*
Thank you.
Last edited on
Depending on your IDE, there might be something similar to Microsoft's Intellisense feature - basically, it will pop up while typing to show you member methods, namespace residents, etc. It's very intuitive, but for a better description, you can't beat the good old reference :P
Last edited on
Well I am using Visual Studio 2010 Pro (I get it for free because I am a student and I have an email at my school) but I can't find a way to turn on the intelisense for C++(if there is such a thing)
When I am coding in VB it helps me A LOT but it's a bit hard to learn when coding in C++.
Last edited on
Intellisense isn't supported in VS2010 while using the managed C++ configuration. You can switch to native C++ by:

Project -> [Your Project] Properties... -> Configuration Properties -> General -> Project Defaults -> Common Language Runtime Support -> No Common Language Runtime Support

This should allow you to use Intellisense, but only using native C++. If you're doing a Windows Forms project in C++, then you might consider VS2008, as Intellisense works with managed C++ with it.

I know personally that Visual Studio is pretty intimidating at first, but after a while you will get the hang of it and start using its real power :)

If you need additional help (or can't find the right option in VS) you can try the cplusplus IRC channel. Details can be found in the sticky http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/28548/ I hope to see you there.
Last edited on
Thank you for this great reply. I just have only one problem about the irc channel. I can't manage to find a good free IRC client. If you can please recommend one that would help a lot (the recommended in the thread[mIRC&xchat] ar paid?)
Thanks
You can try out Pidgin, it's open source and has a lot of nice features. I haven't used it in Windows, though.
Thank you SOOO much!!!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.