random 2-d array problem

I've been working on writing a program that randomly fills sites in a 2-D array (10x10) with 1's and 0's that meet a user input for the fraction of 1's sites compared to total sites. The code I wrote works in principle I think but when I compiled and ran it I had an unexpectedly long run time (i never got it to finish). Is there any errors in my coding or is it just inefficient?

the code:
#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>
#include <ctime>
#include <new>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	//declare parameters

float p; //percentage of sites filled in array
	long int i, j, n, m; // i=rows j=columns; loop indexes-n,l
	long int pmass;  //mass of percolating chain
	long int filled, unfilled; // filled=number of 1s, unfilled=number of 0s
	int perc_array[10][10]; //declare 2-d 10x10 array

//set i, j to both be 10
	i=10;
	j=10;

// user inputs

cout<<"What percentage (decimal) of sites do you want filled? (no more than 3 decimal places) \n";
	cin>>p;

//zero filled and unfilled variables
	filled=0;
	unfilled=0;

//zero the array elements before seeding the sites. does this by going down each column and zeroing all the rows
	//after it zeroes all the rows in the first column it does it for the second..to the jth column
	for(n=0; n<j; n++)
	{
		for(m=0;m<i;m++)
			perc_array[m][n]=0;
	}

//seeding random number generator
	srand(time(NULL));

// fill array with 0's or 1's (1's will indicate filled sites) and have the ratio of 1's to total array size
	// be the same as the user defined p
	do
	{
		//randomly fill array with 0s and 1s
		for(n=0; n<j; n++)
		{
			for(m=0; m<i; m++)
				perc_array[m][n]=rand() % 2; //generates random 0 or 1 to fill array spot
		}

//count the number of filled and unfilled sites	
		for(n=0; n<j; n++)
		{
			for(m=0; m<i; m++)
			{
				if(perc_array[m][n]==0)
					unfilled++;
				else
					filled++;
			}
		}
	} while((filled/(filled+unfilled))!=p); // recalculates the array until the (filled/total) ratio is p

//output array to check by hand (for debugging purposes)
	for(n=0;n<i;n++) //does output for each row n
	{
		for(m=0;m<j;m++) //outputs all columns in each row n
		{
			cout<<perc_array[n][m];
			if(m==100)
				cout<<"/n"; //new row
		}
	}
}
Probably an infinite loop. To see where it is, you could add:
cout<<"Loop ID =1"<<endl;
inside every loop (obviously change the 1 to a unique number), to see which one is repeating.
I did what you suggested and I found out that the do-while loop is repeating ad infinitum. I made some modifications to try and make it check the while condition clearer. So the new do while loop is:
	do
	{
		//randomly fill array with 0s and 1s
		for(m=0; m<j; m++)
		{
			for(n=0; n<i; n++)
				perc_array[m][n]=rand() % 2; //generates random 0 or 1 to fill array spot
		}
		//count the number of filled and unfilled sites	

for(n=0; n<j; n++)
		{
			for(m=0; m<i; m++)
			{
				if(perc_array[m][n]==0)
				{
					unfilled++;
				}
				else if(perc_array[m][n]==1)
				{
					filled++;
				}
			}
		}

//simplification variables
		total=100;
                randp=(filled/total);

//reset filled and unfilled when random array isn't percentage filled user specified
		if(randp!=p)
		{
			filled=0;
			unfilled=0;
		}
		//otherwise tell user of values (randp should be same as user input)
		else if(randp==p)
			cout<<filled<<","<< unfilled<<","<<total<<","<<randp;

} while(randp!=p); // recalculates the array until the (filled/total) ratio is p  

So, to my understanding the loop should terminate when it builds the array with the same percentage of 1's the user specified. since the condition is true when randp is not p the do-while loop will run again. However this still runs to infinity. I tried some couts and found that it is not correctly computing randp. Inside the do-while loop it says randp is 0. Even though when I have it tell me the number for filled states it returns a non-zero number. What am I doing wrong here??
Last edited on
When I ran your code (same as first post with only the do-while loop replaced be the second post), it seems to work fine for me. However, the variables "total" and "randp" were not declared in your first post, and so I declared them in the same line as p (ie as other floats) because I didn't know any better. My best guess would be that you have total declared as an int or long int. In C and C++, when you divide an int by an int, you get an int, even though you're trying to store it into a float or double. This is my speculation as to why you see randp as always zero due to your division statement at line 28. My method of decalring total as a float fixed the problem because if a float is part of the division, you can get a float back, but the other way is to cast one of the int's. In other words:

float d;
int b, c;

d = b/c;  //returns an int into d

d = (float) b/c; // returns a float into d 

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I meant to add that you should include <cstdlib> in addition to the other headers you have. Your compiler may not require it because it adds it automatically, but you have some function calls that need it (ie rand()).
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.