Beginner programmers

Pages: 12
hello i was just wondering if anyone would like to join Lithium Designs. There are currently only two of us and were beginner programmers but we are writing a text based rpg right now. In the future we are going to make a 2d platformer game then start a 3d game after that. So, if you are interested just reply to this post or send me an email at levijgraham@gmail.com
Ok, I'll bite.

- What library are you guys using? Also if you don't mind me asking what IDE\compiler are you using?

- What is the Target platform for the "consule" and in the future 2D\3D games?

- What would the "demands" on this voluntary position consist of or what contributions are expected of someone who is interested?

- Where are you hosting files for development? If you haven't gotten this far then it won't hurt my opinion of you if you say so.

- If you don't mind me asking, although you write well, is English yours and your associates native language?
Last edited on
-We are using Microsoft visual studio 2010 as our IDE of choice.

-probably p.c at first

-mIRC is how we communicate fast

-if you are interested we are hoping you can help as much as possible to help you learn and to help us learn. Also, to make our buisness stronger which will help you in the end to because you would be just as equal as us in ownership of the buisness.

-We also use a team foundation server

-English is our first language i'm from Canada and the other member is from U.S.A .
Last edited on
I'd possibly be interested in about 5 months, not that that's any use, but all of my attention is going towards university at the moment. If I can't get a job programming after uni then I'd like to do it on the side. So...you may receive an email in five months haha
I am intreagued in your project and would like to contribute. I just started learning C++ programming about half a year ago and have 1 semester completed. I'm about to begin my 2nd semester soon. This seems like a good way to learn more about programming.
ok send me an email at levijgraham@gmail.com and ill get you started from there.

also quirkyusername thats alright :D
- Your choice of IDE may cause a few problems off the bat, but I feel that I know enough to adapt to them so that's fine.

- Sorry I meant what platform as in what OS, I feel like I can assume Windows. I don't expect anyone in the beginner form to be posting about XNA development or anything like that.

- Ok to mIRC but for example I'm east coast US, I work fulltime 40 - 50 hrs a week and there would undoubtably be a time descrepancy as your team grows, do you have a solution for when that comes up? Even a Facebook group would work for meeting bullets and anouncements early on, but that might be too personal and therefore discourage people from joining.

- When you use the word 'business' that conjours images of more comitment then I would be comfortable making this early. I don't mean to be pedantic but I wouldn't want to be stuck in a group especially a business where I don't know anyone.

- Noted

- That's good communication is important in endevours like these and I wanted to be sure that it wouldn't be a hertal.

I'm kind of interested at the moment. I have to warn you that I tend to get involved in things then not finish but I may be able to help early on at least.
Last edited on
Hi Computer geek,

why do you say visual studio 2010 may cause problems? It's what I use most of the time, what are the down sides? and up sides of whatever you use.
It would all be on my end because despite its buggy nature and the fact that it's built on a damaged IDE to begin with I've grown attached to wxDev-C++ and would prefer not to change. Me not knowing what is declared in "sdafx.h" might slow me down a bit. Also if you guys go and use some Windows library I have to know what to link to, but that's just an msdn search away. They're little things really, and I like I said I'm confident that I could adapt.
well idk if you bail out on things im not sure if thats good ....
@ OP: You're concern is understandable, and it's your show. I wouldn't just disappear and not tell you guys but if I wanted to leave for whatever reason then I would prefer it to be without any hard feelings.

I've been writing for a number of years and I won't be stopping anytime soon, at least until I see what C++0x can do :D. I'll be on these boards for a while and barring some disaster will be here for a while longer if you need my help. I already know that I can contribute a fair amount to your team already.

EDIT: I have some experiance with SDL, OpenGL and allegro. I am very comfortable with the Windows API as of XP, and moderatly comfortable with the modern Windows 7 SDK. So now that I've established that I know your platform, the rest is up to you.
Last edited on
well alright if you do leave its fine but just as long as you just don't disappear out of no were :P

Sounds good I'm interested and will be setting up an E mail account exclusivley for this project shortly. Also please think about my concerns regarding communication, the time delay's and so forth, things like this are usually why my group projects have fallen apart.
well im thinking about using somthing with voice chat kinda like skype because talking is easier than typing and typing in chat takes away from time that you could be working
I've sent my E mail. My address does not match my screen name here however.
alright :D
Actually the future for games is mobile (based on current observation and pattern emerging). Take a look at a lot of major PC game makers, they are busily porting their game to mobile devices. Some face problem due to smaller processor and smaller screen in mobile devices but with tablet coming out, the game can work to a certain extent.

So for a start-up that want to do games development, won't it be more logical to target mobile platform instead ?

There are Apple, Android, RIM, Samsung Bada, Nokia Symbian for a start.

Above is my opinion so please don't "flame" me :P
@Sohguanh: No. Mobile devices are much, much more tedious and less-rewarding. I'd rather be able to bend my programs to the fullest via my PC ;)

@levij: A text based RPG eh? Elaborate, please? I get the general feeling of the game ZORK when I think of text-based RPG games.

Also, beginner to what extent? I understand quite enough to write my own functional version of a text-based RPG, but of course there are different approaches. I guess I'm just curious as to the spectrum of knowledge you possess.

@Computergeek: I completely understand when you say Microsoft Visual Studio C++ is a nuisance. I really think any new project, especially one that is text based and plans to make excessive growth, should be on a more hands-on IDE. MSVC++ tends to do most of the work for you, and you have to go dig through its (inconveniently created and hidden) files to access everything.
(Edit: The only thing MSVC++ might do a bit conveniently is GUI programming, and a text based game is probably more likely to take place in a Console Program)

@Project

I personally recommend Code::Blocks for a team project, and for the sake of Cross-Platform development. I am running a Dual Boot (Windows/Linux) computer, and I personally refuse to get on windows unless mandatory. However, I'd be interested in doing what I could, and helping out a bit. Also, where does this project stand as of now? Early into development? Not yet started? Information is gold :)
Last edited on
@Sohguanh: No. Mobile devices are much, much more tedious and less-rewarding. I'd rather be able to bend my programs to the fullest via my PC ;)

It is tedious cuz mobile devices screen and processor are less competent than their PC cousins. But it is precisely because of these restrictions that made game development on mobile more challenging and tedious.

But recent advancement in mobile processor is leaping bounds. Smart-phones with 1Ghz processor are getting more common nowadays. With tablet, the screen increases to say 10" which make it ideal for gaming although the large size can turn some daily commuters off. Imagine you are in a train, bus or whatever public transport jostling with lot's of commuters, is carrying and playing games on a tablet more convenient than a smart-phone? :P

Size matters in gaming of cuz but we also need to be aware under what scenario are Humans going to play the game. Is it casual game? Brain-intriguing game? Recent surveys have shown big games maker making "big" games are noticing this trend of users becoming more geared towards "smaller" games.

Ok this will be my last post in this topic lest the OP get fed-up with topic sway :)
closed account (D80DSL3A)
I haven't ever collaborated on a project before. It would be interesting to try that out. I'll send an email shortly.
Pages: 12