New to c++

Pages: 12
hey guys, i want to do video game development at college, i don't start until September, so i figured I'd get a head start, I've been told I will be working on macs majority of the time so I bought a mac, I found this series that teaches you c++, http://www.devmaster.net/articles/intro-to-c++-with-game-dev/part1.php

first off, does that series look good, second it' looks like it's done on windows, should i just run windows over my mac, or should i be learning c++ via mac with mac programs, if so can somebody point me to tutorials for the mac, I like the link above, because it actually starts from the beginning and gets you quote far.
>game development
>Mac

LOL
closed account (zb0S216C)
Stick to Windows. Now that you have brought a Mac, you may as well dual-boot Windows with OSX. I believe that most games are developed in Windows environments.
Last edited on
Well all the schools in my area use a mac? Yeah, i like windows, yeah I know windows people hate mac because it's over priced, and other countless reasons, asspirate thanks for the reply!. Framework, yeah I figure i'll just dual boot if anything, but that thread is it good?
Then the schools in your area aren't familiar with industry standards.
Macs suck. Be one of the cool kids and develop games for Linux.

Yes...just yes.
+1
I would suggest making platform-independent game code but that's just me.
Be one of the cool kids and develop games for Linux.

Right, so that nobody can play it. =P

+1 Zhuge. Game libs are typically cross-platform anyway, so just use a game lib and it'll work on most platforms. You'll have to actually go out of your way to make it Windows-only or Mac-only or whatever.

EDIT: also, obligatory link to such a lib: http://www.sfml-dev.org
Last edited on
I also think you should make the game cross-platform, however in my opinion if you are incapable (or unwilling) then you should develop for the OS you use the most. Simply because you will have more desire to work on it, it's less of a hassle and you will probably end up using your product.

I second Disch go for sfml, I like sdl, but sfml wins in ease of use.

false, and Really? The only game worth playing on most distros xmoto =) jkjk I love linux, but still bad suggestion.

edit: oh and I'm posting this from a MBP running Win7
Last edited on
blasteryui wrote:
hey guys, i want to do video game development at college, i don't start until September,

Exactly what school are you referring to and is this a game programming school? Stay away from such schools. I wouldn't be to overly concerned about making your game cross platform and as mentioned above using a graphics API will do the job anyway. Windows is still where the game market is not Mac or Linux.
Return 0, thanks for saying that
Stay away from such schools.

I was thinking about such... I'm just going to get a Computer Science degree... and learn on my own in till then...
yeah I know windows people hate mac because it's over priced, and other countless reasons

I know it's over priced but that's not the reason. People choose Windows over Mac OSX is because Windows is more for professional users such as businesses. Mac's on the other hand, are for media uses such as video editing and music production.

I've used both Mac OSX and Windows 7, and I can safely say that Windows is definitely more professional. I've given Mac's a chance but they just seem too "childish" for me such as large, bouncing icons( which is annoying ), awful layout, and, as far as I know, people are more likely to shift to Linux if Windows goes under( which I very much doubt ).
I'm just going to get a Computer Science degree...
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Windows is still where the game market is not Mac or Linux.

Macs are far too good to be waisted on gaming. ;0)
@Grey Wolf
Macs are rubbish. I've got a Mac store near where I live and nobody is ever inside. My friend made be laugh when he went into the Mac store and asked for a Mac( Obviously ). When he brought the Mac, he rang my other friend up and said: "Have you still got the Windows 7 CD?". You should of seen the clerks face Lol.
Framework wrote:
Macs are rubbish.

If you don't mind, I will not take your word for it.
lol. I wouldn't go so far to say they are crappy systems. I just honestly don't see the value in them.
If I might make a recommendation, I would suggest you develop the game for Windows, and later make sure it works with WINE. Unfortunately, and I'll be honest here, most of the market for games is on Windows. Macs are slowly gaining support with Steam now supporting OS X and whatnot, yet I reiterate. Windows is where the game market is at, for now.

Also, I protest. Macs are NOT rubbish, in fact for me, OS X was a better choice than Windows 7 for what I do. That said, I prefer open-source operating systems over either of the two. So, it's not like you can say that I'm biased toward Windows. ;)

Lets not turn this into another OS flamewar, k guys?

-Albatross
I run Mac OS, Windows and Linux and have done for many years. I probably spend more time programming for Windows than anything else as I work in a Windows only environment. I have a certain amount of dislike for Linux but would not dismiss it out off hand, like everything it has its place.
Macs are not bad systems, to me they're uncomfortable and unfamiliar like having dinner with your girlfriends family for the first time. Other then that and the fact that the contorl buttons are in the wrong corner of the window there really isn't anything wrong owning a Mac.

However, reading the Mac API feels like watching a snuf film. I remember myself thinking things like "Why am I looking at this?" and "How sick is the individual that created this?". The Windows API was made for C and adapted in places for C++ with an effort toward promoting M$'s made up languages, so the quirks it has are exceptable tell me WTF is Steve Jobs excuse?

EDIT: Spelling errors and such.
Last edited on
Pages: 12