Looking for a mentor!

Mentorship:
"Mentorship refers to a personal developmental relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps a less experienced or less knowledgeable person."

Looking to hire a mentor to help me and a friend in learning C++. We are both learning C++ via C++ programming books.

We need someone who has an extensive knowledge about C++ programming. OOP and game oriented programming would be best. If you know Directx programming also this would be a huge plus.

Looking for someone who is:
Has been programming for a few years, and has a good knowledge of C++. (Prefer C++ in games)
Online most of time during the day.
Has skype and a good mic
Around 18-30 years old. (We are both 18)

We are not looking for a teacher just someone that we can call upon if we are stuck or cannot grasp a concept, can help us with errors, recommend books for us to study, etc, and is generally a nice person.

If you're willing to help us for free, that would be awesome! If not, I'm not rich. Only looking to pay around $15 a month as an incentive. I'll pay you at the end of each month via paypal.

If you're interested in helping two young beginner coders get into the language, please email me at:

Tripy-devo@hotmail.com

Please include the following!
Do you know how use Directx?
What kind of programming are you into?
What times during the day would you be available to assist us?

PS: Please speak good English. No hard to understand accents please. Thanks!
Last edited on
Still looking.
There is no voice greater to teach you other than your own.
Isaac Asimov wrote:
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.
Apart from that, $15 a month is sort of... well, let's just say that it won't be worth it for the person at all. You'd be better off spending the money on books to be honest.
You can always ask for help here or in other forums when you're really stuck.
I would love to help I will not help you all the time or be your teacher but I have a good understanding of both c++ and English. If you need help with anything just send a email (minus the plus sign's) bwarnock+@yma+il.com

*edit
I am 14 and do not use skype but judging by the other comments I'm the best your going to get.
If you guys have books you can work through those and ask me any questions that come up along the way.

just so you know directX requires windows programming knowledge which I am just trying to learn atm.
Last edited on
$15/month won't mean a thing to an experienced programmer. They can make that kind of money in a few minutes if they have a decent job.
Last edited on
If you're interested, I could help you out. I won't be your personal mentor, I don't really have the time for it. But you can PM me your MSN address (if you have one) and you can call for me whenever you're stuck and I can try to help you.
I'm not experienced in programming games, but I might be able to help you out on other parts.
Agreed for $15 a month we might as well do it for free. Oh look, I see three names on this thread already that do exactly that. So what are you looking for that's different from what this site offers?
@Obj3ct: Although your intentions are noble I would like to point out the value that is gained by all people on the internet when inqueries are made public instead of directly PM'ing eachother.
ya asking a question here makes way more sense also I taught myself c++ at the age of 13. If I can do it two 18 year olds helping each other out should have no problem. and if you do well......... mabee programming is not for you.
At what level can you program currently? If you are just starting, I suggest going through whatever book you have, and doing all the problems in all the chapters. If you have any questions, you can feel free to ask them, here. There are many tutorials all over the web, in both general c++ and in directx
Hey! Thanks for all the replys! Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner.

Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.
There is no voice greater to teach you other than your own.

I 100% agree with both of you. I'm learning via books, working on a beginner C++ book atm, doing 1/2 chapters a day. I'm not looking for a teacher, just a.. big brother, if you will. Someone to call on when I don't have the time to spend hours searching through forum post for answers.

$15/month won't mean a thing to an experienced programmer. They can make that kind of money in a few minutes if they have a decent job

Agreed, $15 a month is not a lot. But I know a lot of guys in college who would appreciate $15 a month just to buy some food, or drinks, w/e. Really its just an incentive.

ya asking a question here makes way more sense also I taught myself c++ at the age of 13. If I can do it two 18 year olds helping each other out should have no problem. and if you do well......... mabee programming is not for you.

Yeah, I started to teach myself C++ when I was about 13 also, but the book I had was not for learning, it was a reference book. I recently decided to start learning again and I have picked it up again rather quickly, my friend is also interested and he has been helping me a bit and picking up some things from me. I thought it would be helpful to have someone around to ask questions when they came up, or to give tips.

An example situation would be:

The other day In my book it asked me to rewrite a program using an enumerator. The knowledge the book taught was limited and after searching on the internet I couldn't figure out how to use an enumerator properly.

I appreciate all the responses, and while I do understand its better to ask in a forum post for answers, I don't like waiting for a response. I work 40 hours a week, and I often have other things to do then wait around for an answer or spend time going through pages of forum posts for an answer.

If your interested in helping us out, please email me or add me on skype. (tripydevo)

Thanks
~Devin
Well I'm not saying this is a bad idea. It's really not, but have you looked at irc channels at all? There are often people on there waiting to answer questions just like you're describing.

The 15 dollars. Well it may spice up the offer for someone who isn't professional. Which is what you're asking for...

Now maybe if you really are intent on this idea you can expand a little. Make up a little website. Have mentors get paid like once a month based on the number of people signed up for the class. Skim a little off the top and make some money while you learn. The augmented money will actually entice your desired teaching staff.

Ignoring the above suggestion^

I personally would be willing to help you out with a promise of a different kind. I help you and you help me. I teach you programming concepts, you utilize your knowledge to improve my programs and it becomes a more symbiotic relationship.

While you may not find the above situation ideal, it would honestly entice more people (like me{which, I suppose could be a bad thing =D[But it's really not]}) and cost you less.

edit: resolution, hmm thought I put that in there.
Last edited on
If all you want as a mentor is someone to ask questions to then ya just e-mail me when you have a problem.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
We have a cplusplus IRC channel where multiple people can try and answer your questions. However, I do have a skype for more personal discussion which my username would happen to be computerquip. Although, if you were to ask me about C++, it would be more through my knowledge of it, not experience.

Also, I can't stand direct use of DirectX (or OpenGL for the matter). I've never actually developed a fully featured game (except very small pong and snake games that weren't really... great). However, I'm familiar with some of the concepts and can help explain some of them.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.