English Motherf*ck*r! Do you speak it?!

All programming texts use some deep nomenclature that I simply dont understand.

Google/wikipedia is trash at explaining some of these terms. Is there any C++ or general programming textbook that looks at programming as a whole that describes "stacks" "popping and pushing" "flagging the buffer" "memory leakage" "garbage collection" and all these technical terms...

??
I really doubt that there's not a single tutorial out there that you don't understand...
@ vintage: Watch those double negatives, that made my brain hurt before I realised that it was a typo :D!

@ OP: I've actually found Wikipedia to be very helpful in explaining things.

"Memory Leakage" and "Garbage Collection" are two things that you won't need to worry about for a while, modern OS's handle these pretty well and until your programs get really complex issues with them don't come up much.

"Popping and Pusing" are terms that refer to storing and removing data from the processors register. "Pop" to store data and "Push" to remove it.
The "Stack" can mean a number of things specifically, but always refers to a region of memory dedicated to a specific purpose.

"Buffering" is the process of loading data into memory. Think about video buffering, it's the same term.

"Flagging" I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate on this part of your question?

Feel free to post more questions.
@Computergeek01: I would still tell him what they are, just for future reference.

"Memory Leakage" occurs when allocated memory is not deallocated at the end of a program's lifespan, thus reducing the total amount of usable memory.

"Garbage Collection" is a form of automatic memory management. A garbage collector will try to reclaim memory occupied by objects that the program no longer needs.

EDIT: You got pop and push reversed.

-Albatross
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Computergeek01 wrote:
"Popping and Pusing" are terms that refer to storing and removing data from the processors register. "Pop" to store data and "Push" to remove it.

??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(data_structure)

Edit:
I have been having a lot of problems with the site not being available so I did a quick post and then wrote more about the transposed push and pop but could not get the edit to go.
Last edited on
Argh! That was my bad, Grey Wolf was right I had a dyslexic moment and got those reversed. Good catch that would have really confused the OP.
Last edited on
+1 Sputnik for the excellent Pulp Fiction reference.

"To flag", or "set a flag", or something along those lines, means simply to set some value to indicate a state, to signal something. Sometimes the flag is just a simple bool, sometimes it's an integer where a number of flags are stuffed into and extracted through bitwise operations.
ooooh sorry about the double negatives...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.